Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Alpha First Impressions: It's Great

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Alpha First Impressions: It's Great

While Fedora 21 is being dragged out agonizingly long for day-to-day Fedora users, the alpha release is out today and it's great and comes with many new features. Having not run Fedora Rawhide in several weeks now as the latest development code, Fedora 21 is turning out fairly nicely and with my early morning tests thus far the Fedora 21 Alpha release is stable and running quite nicely.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can you hide window decorations in Gnome 3.14?
    Having a top bar in Firefox drives me batty.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      Can you hide window decorations in Gnome 3.14?
      Having a top bar in Firefox drives me batty.
      Firefox still uses GTK2 although Red Hat is working with Mozilla on updating it to GTK 3 to provide better integration. Meanwhile, I find this collection very useful

Download and create Firefox collections to keep track of favorite extensions and themes. Explore the GNOME 3 Integration.

The last one in particular hides the top bar when Firefox is maximized.

Comment

if i had to pick one feature that i want most from F21, that would be DevAssistant.

Comment

yeah DevAsisstant rocks.

What I dont like, is that for the first run Gnome Software produces a big cache, which can take up to 10 minutes.. I thought they would have solved that :/

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
            yeah DevAsisstant rocks.

What I dont like, is that for the first run Gnome Software produces a big cache, which can take up to 10 minutes.. I thought they would have solved that :/

Comment

^ I saw this. however it doesnt seem to be included yet.

Another issue: I have to use NVIDIA binary drivers via RPMFusion because I got a GTX 860m, and I really want to use it effectively.

So Installed akmod-nvidia from rpmfusion f21 repo, but after this my Xorg breaks, and Gnome tells me stuff like " oups something went wrong" with a logout button... pretty useless now.

Can anyone help me? I had issues before in rawhide because of debug kernels, but this one is nodebug, and the Xorg version should be supported too... So often Fedora becomes a mess for me, when I want to install anything binary on kernel level, be it NVIDIA blob, or b43 firmware...

The RPMFusion channel is often empty and Fedora channel cant help me... (moral issues oh oh...)

Comment

that takes care of 1/2 for me. if there is some progress indication in plans while installing, GS would be damn jewel. right now it is a bit confusing to know what is actually happening. and i don't mean full yum reports like software installers usually have them. just some indicator that says "Packages downloading", "Installing" and maybe progress bar to show more information. even if this would be purely notification based at least it would be some sort of feedback

i noticed that all my friends hate exactly the same thing as i did. no clue if operation succeeded/being in progress/failed. you had to go on the software title to check if there is spinning icon or not. and each time it ended the same yum install yumex

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  that takes care of 1/2 for me. if there is some progress indication in plans while installing, GS would be damn jewel. right now it is a bit confusing to know what is actually happening. and i don't mean full yum reports like software installers usually have them. just some indicator that says "Packages downloading", "Installing" and maybe progress bar to show more information. even if this would be purely notification based at least it would be some sort of feedback

i noticed that all my friends hate exactly the same thing as i did. no clue if operation succeeded/being in progress/failed. you had to go on the software title to check if there is spinning icon or not. and each time it ended the same yum install yumex
                  Please file bug reports

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Please file bug reports
                    I thought about this. Then couldn't decide who to file it against. GS or fedora so, i kinda hoped other people will experience same thing as i did, since most of my friends did. and the fact that solution yum install yumex was too easy, while making me forgot this until i read that blog post

Comment

Working...
                    X