Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.04 + Linux 6.9 Intel & AMD Server Performance

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 + Linux 6.9 Intel & AMD Server Performance

While earlier this week was looking at the AMD EPYC 4004 vs. Intel Xeon E-2488 performance for entry-level server performance, in today's benchmarking showdown is a fresh look higher up the stack at the current generation server performance out of Intel Xeon Sapphire Rapids / Emerald Rapids and AMD EPYC Genoa(X) / Bergamo / Siena with a leading-edge open-source software stack of using Ubuntu 24.04 LTS while also jumping from Linux 6.8 to Linux 6.9 for the very latest x86_64 Linux server performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure if it applies to tested AMD CPUs here, but kernel 6.9.2-rc1 has nice performance fix:

To address the performance drop issue, an optimization has been implemented. The incorrect highest performance value previously set by the low-level power firmware for AMD CPUs with Family ID 0x19 and Model ID ranging from 0x70 to 0x7F series has been identified as the cause.

To resolve this, a check has been implemented to accurately determine the CPU family and model ID. The correct highest performance value is now set and the performance drop caused by the incorrect highest performance value are eliminated.

Before the fix, the highest frequency was set to 4200MHz, now it is set to 4971MHz which is correct.​​

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
      I'm not sure if it applies to tested AMD CPUs here, but kernel 6.9.2-rc1 has nice performance fix:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/t/
      AMD EPYC (aside from 4004) still uses ACPI CPUFreq by default, not AMD P-State.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Oh, ok. Thanks.

Comment

Just one one graph showing the price of platinum and max so people's eyes can open wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I thought all use ACPI CPUFreq by default, and everyone who want amd-pstate need to set amd_pstate=active to kernels cmdline.

However, about this whole Benchmarking phoronix
            I thought it would be kernel 6.8 vs 6.9, but this whole benchmarking tells us nothing and is absolutely useless.... :-(

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X