Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 KVM Does More Prepping For Intel TDX

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 KVM Does More Prepping For Intel TDX

The KVM changes for the Linux 6.10 kernel were merged a few days ago for this important piece to the open-source Linux virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Semi related question, given the recent news of VMWare Workstation being free for personal use, which one would be a better tool, KVM or VMWare?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
      Semi related question, given the recent news of VMWare Workstation being free for personal use, which one would be a better tool, KVM or VMWare?
      It depends on what you're doing. If you have a linux machine you want to run a few VMs on, KVM is a better choice. If your machine is strictly going to be a hypervisor (i.e. a host that does nothing other than run VMs), then Proxmox or VMware are better choices because this is what they're designed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

It depends on what you're doing. If you have a linux machine you want to run a few VMs on, KVM is a better choice. If your machine is strictly going to be a hypervisor (i.e. a host that does nothing other than run VMs), then Proxmox or VMware are better choices because this is what they're designed to do.
        Thanks.

I’m talking strictly on a Desktop so I’m curious about KVM and VMWare Workstation.

Comment

IMO a trusted domain is an anti-pattern. CPU and memory should be secure from the ground up.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Thanks.

I’m talking strictly on a Desktop so I’m curious about KVM and VMWare Workstation.
            There are many pros and cons to each, even on a desktop. A very short summary is...

Vmware has a shorter learning curve so you can get to a point very quickly where you are actually run multiple systems.

Qemu (KVM) has a very difficult learning curve and there's multiple ways of interacting with it, e.g. qemu, libvirt, https://virt-manager.org/ and GNOME Boxes etc...

Vmware workstation will bloat your system a bit (it installs kernel modules IIRC)

Once you get a hang of qemu cli and or libvirt xml files then you will become unstoppable but it took me many years to figure things out.

In conclusion, if you have a lot of time and like to learn new things try KVM. If you just want to run something quickly try Vmware workstation.

PS: Depending on your distro, configuring a network bridge is usually the most challenging thing. Again depending on the distro, virt-manager might be relatively easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

There are many pros and cons to each, even on a desktop. A very short summary is...

Vmware has a shorter learning curve so you can get to a point very quickly where you are actually run multiple systems.

Qemu (KVM) has a very difficult learning curve and there's multiple ways of interacting with it, e.g. qemu, libvirt, https://virt-manager.org/ and GNOME Boxes etc...

Vmware workstation will bloat your system a bit (it installs kernel modules IIRC)

Once you get a hang of qemu cli and or libvirt xml files then you will become unstoppable but it took me many years to figure things out.

In conclusion, if you have a lot of time and like to learn new things try KVM. If you just want to run something quickly try Vmware workstation.

PS: Depending on your distro, configuring a network bridge is usually the most challenging thing. Again depending on the distro, virt-manager might be relatively easy to use.
              Thank you, very helpful!

Comment

Working...
              X