Intel Releases Its March 2024 Open-Source Linux GPU Compute Stack Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Its March 2024 Open-Source Linux GPU Compute Stack Update

Phoronix: Intel Releases Its March 2024 Open-Source Linux GPU Compute Stack Update

Intel is ending out the month and quarter with the latest update to its open-source Compute Runtime and Intel Graphics Compiler (IGC) code that enables OpenCL and Level Zero support on Linux systems and is also used by their Windows driver too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The huge thing with this release is the interop between OpenCL and OpenGL, via cl_khr_gl_sharing (issue: https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime/issues/659, pull request: https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime/pull/673).

In other words, Davinci Resolve should now work with Intel GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post
      The huge thing with this release is the interop between OpenCL and OpenGL, via cl_khr_gl_sharing (issue: https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime/issues/659, pull request: https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime/pull/673).

In other words, Davinci Resolve should now work with Intel GPUs.
      Exactly what I was gonna mention BUT it only makes Resolve usable on Intel iGPUs. I have an A770 and now it shows thumbnails in the Media Pool and Timeline but the viewers show the footage small and tiled. It's possible that the Tile4 fixes merged into Mesa last week fix that but compiling and using mesa-main made it so I couldn't log into Fedora anymore. If the Tile4 fixes don't fix it then it the issue could be in either compute-runtime or Intel's Mesa driver. Regardless, its waaaaay better than it was but not yet usable. Close though.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Exactly what I was gonna mention BUT it only makes Resolve usable on Intel iGPUs. I have an A770 and now it shows thumbnails in the Media Pool and Timeline but the viewers show the footage small and tiled. It's possible that the Tile4 fixes merged into Mesa last week fix that but compiling and using mesa-main made it so I couldn't log into Fedora anymore. If the Tile4 fixes don't fix it then it the issue could be in either compute-runtime or Intel's Mesa driver. Regardless, its waaaaay better than it was but not yet usable. Close though.
        What version of Mesa 3D you're using? You need Mesa 24.0+.
        Try to use Rusticl driver. ILL DR works now with Rusticl on Intel, but not on AMD.
        Working on Intel iGPUs but not on Arc hints on fp64 usage: Intel Arc has no support for fp64, needs emulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post
          What version of Mesa 3D you're using? You need Mesa 24.0+.
          I'm in 24.0.3.

Try to use Rusticl driver. ILL DR works now with Rusticl on Intel, but not on AMD.
          I've been told that I should try that out. At the very least it would help me figure out whether I'm dealing with a Mesa or compute-runtime issue.

Working on Intel iGPUs but not on Arc hints on fp64 usage: Intel Arc has no support for fp64, needs emulation.
          Nah, it's definitely not an fp64 issue. Resolve and most things don't really have a reason to use it.

Comment

A few comments :

* The 24.09.xx release of intel-compute-runtime do _not_ contain the CL/GL sharing improvements. That release branch was split-off a few days before they got merged.
            * The Fedora package for that release have them because the package maintainer applies the patch manually over the official tarball.
            * The issue with Arc is almost certainly related to memory layout format. One of the issue was that mesa was improperly reporting a modifier of 0 (linear) for the new Tile4 layout, now it reports the correct modifier, but it's not properly taken into account in intel-compute-runtime so they end up disagreeing about the tiling format. Someone with access to the hardware needs to look at that ... I don't have any such cards.

Comment

Working...
            X