Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse-Engineered Rockchip NPU Driver Hitting Same Performance As Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse-Engineered Rockchip NPU Driver Hitting Same Performance As Proprietary Driver

Phoronix: Reverse-Engineered Rockchip NPU Driver Hitting Same Performance As Proprietary Driver

Open-source developer Tomeu Vizoso recently began the effort of creating an open-source, reverse-engineered driver for the Rockchip NPU found in some of the latest Rockchip SoCs. After succeeding at open-source NPU driver support for the VeriSilicon NPU IP, Vizoso took up the challenge of working on Rockchip NPU support. With his open-source user-space driver he's already got his first model running. Not only is it running but it's doing so at similar performance to the proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those are very promising results. However, not to be a cynic, but it also gets me to wonder how poorly optimized the blob is. That's not a shot at Tomeu - this is described as early access, so the fact he's already getting par results means there's only room for improvement.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 28 March 2024, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      That is very promising results. However, not to be a cynic, but it also gets me to wonder how poorly optimized the blob is. That's not a shot at Tomeu - this is described as early access, so the fact he's already getting par results means there's only room for improvement.
      Assuming that blob is often the best (and only) thing you can get for the chip, any performance improvements on top of that increase the value of the platform. Thus financial support for the effort from the chip vendor would be beneficial to the both parties.

Comment

It's so cool, though I don't own any Rockchip SBC now. Thumbs up to the Dev!

Comment

Working...
        X