Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO_uring With Linux 6.9 Gains Truncate Support, Per-Ring NAPI

Phoronix: IO_uring With Linux 6.9 Gains Truncate Support, Per-Ring NAPI

The IO_uring changes were merged early during the nearly-over Linux 6.9 merge window. This round brought yet a few more features to this wonderful and innovative kernel feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Y'all need to hydrate

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Y'all need to hydrate
      "You are never an island, but when you pee urination!" Something that. Read once in a bathroom in Homer, Alaska almost 30 years ago. Yeah, hydrate, good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

"You are never an island, but when you pee urination!" Something that. Read once in a bathroom in Homer, Alaska almost 30 years ago. Yeah, hydrate, good for you.
        what else can u pee?

Comment

This round brought yet a few more features to this wonderful and innovative kernel feature.
          I've read that Windows NT already had async IO back when it was released in 1993 and IO_uring is what finally brought it to the Linux kernel only in 2019. So I don't think it's correct to call it "innovative". Of course IO_uring has brought some additional features that Windows NT async IO didn't have, but still, async IO itself is what Windows NT already had since the beginning.
          Last edited by user1; 24 March 2024, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            I've read that Windows NT already had async IO back when it was released in 1993
            Dave Cutler criticized UNIX as "Get a byte, get a byte, get a byte byte byte" and he's been using async I/O in the OSes he works on since at least 1974 with RSX-11M so NT launching with it was pretty much a foregone conclusion.
            Last edited by ssokolow; 24 March 2024, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

what else can u pee?
              blood and kidney stones.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I've read that Windows NT already had async IO back when it was released in 1993 and IO_uring is what finally brought it to the Linux kernel only in 2019. So I don't think it's correct to call it "innovative". Of course IO_uring has brought some additional features that Windows NT async IO didn't have, but still, async IO itself is what Windows NT already had since the beginning.
                Linux had AIO since Linux 2.5, but even if Windows had something like that earlier doesn't matter much. Windows IO was/is always a tragicomedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  Linux had AIO since Linux 2.5
                  But it was a very limited implementation. IO_uring is the first complete, proper implementation of async_IO.

Comment

How is the security situation around IO_Uring. There was a lot of concern about it and people recommended not using IO Uring. Still the case?

Comment

Working...
                    X