Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Trip Points Proposed For The Linux Kernel's Thermal Handling

Phoronix: Cold Trip Points Proposed For The Linux Kernel's Thermal Handling

The Linux kernel's thermal driver has the obvious notion of hot and critically-hot trip points while to this point there hasn't been the opposite: cold trip points (events) but that's finally been proposed as we approach the end of 2023...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux kernel needs heater support too!

Comment

I wonder if there's any way to wire in a condensation sensor, as well. That's another case where you might like to fire up a heater.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        I wonder if there's any way to wire in a condensation sensor, as well. That's another case where you might like to fire up a heater.
        I support all initiatives to male Linux better for embedded even in extreme conditions.

Comment

Anyone know how to use these trip points? I can set them, but how to actually trigger throttling my SSD once it goes to 110C?

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
            I can set them, but how to actually trigger throttling my SSD once it goes to 110C?
            Uh, that's an awfully high temperature, for a SSD. AFAIK, most SSDs have their own embedded temperature sensor and will self-throttle, when they get too hot.

One interesting detail is that the temperature reported by SMART isn't always clear whether it's the controller temperature or the NAND temperature. If there's only one reading, I'd assume it's the NAND, since that's more sensitive than the controller.

Comment

coder
              I'm not joking, that's how high I've seen it go under heavy load. It's an OEM Samsung nvme drive. Temperature according to both lm-sensors and SMART. It shows both controller and NAND temps for me. Not much of a difference, though.

Comment

coder
                I'm not joking, that's how high I've seen it go under heavy load. It's an OEM Samsung nvme drive. Temperature according to both lm-sensors and SMART. It shows both controller and NAND temps for me. Not much of a difference, though.
                Would you mind sharing the model number? What form factor? Does it have any sort of heatsink attached, or just the bare drive? How is airflow, within the machine? Is it catching lots of secondary heat from a dGPU?

Thanks, in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Would you mind sharing the model number?
                  Model Number: SAMSUNG MZVLB256HAHQ-000H1
                  Serial Number: S425NX1M234651
                  Firmware Version: EXD70H1Q
                  What form factor?
                  M.2
                  Does it have any sort of heatsink attached, or just the bare drive?
                  Bare.
                  How is airflow, within the machine?
                  Well, it's a laptop.
                  Is it catching lots of secondary heat from a dGPU?
                  I don't think so.

But note that my question about trip points was in general. This SSD was just where I happen to see them not doing anything.

Comment

Model Number: SAMSUNG MZVLB256HAHQ-000H1
                    Thanks! That's more commonly known under the model name PM981. I believe it was one of their first M.2 form factor NVMe drives. Your model appears to be 256 GB capacity.

Here's a review of the 512 GB & 1 TB capacities, in case you're curious how it behaves for others:

Sadly, I don't see any temperature data in either that or one other review I checked.

​This SSD was just where I happen to see them not doing anything.
                    Maybe due to its larger cell size and lower bit-density, SSD vendors were less concerned about temperature at the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X