LibreOffice 7.6 Now Available For This Best Free Software Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.6 Now Available For This Best Free Software Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.6 Now Available For This Best Free Software Office Suite

LibreOffice 7.6 is now available as the latest major release to this leading open-source office suite that is widely used on the Linux desktop and elsewhere...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As far as I understand, Collabora Online is based on LO. Does anybody know how much the features of LO get passed down? I assume any UI-specific features wouldn't.

Comment

How is the spelling / grammar checking under Libreoffice nowadays? When I was last in school 4 years ago it didn't work that well compared to Google Docs at the time and Google Docs has gotten so good now! With Google Docs it spots all kinds of little errors when editing what especially saves my bacon is fixing look alike words!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        How is the spelling / grammar checking under Libreoffice nowadays? When I was last in school 4 years ago it didn't work that well compared to Google Docs at the time and Google Docs has gotten so good now! With Google Docs it spots all kinds of little errors when editing what especially saves my bacon is fixing look alike words!
        Grammar checking works fine for me. The biggest, and main annoyance I have with LibreOffice (writer in particular) is that when I save, exit and then open my document again, it often changes the font size between paragraphs to 12 or 12.5, while the text font size remains 14, which I set myself in the beginning. This is extremely annoying because when I open my document after writing some paragraphs, some of my text shifts from one page to another as a result of this, so I manually have to change the font size back to 14 between paragraphs. So far I haven't found a solution to this issue.
        Last edited by user1; 21 August 2023, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Any news how Fedora 39+ will (or not) deliver Libre Office? Still hoping for Fedora community to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
            Any news how Fedora 39+ will (or not) deliver Libre Office? Still hoping for Fedora community to pick it up.
            It seems Fedora 39 will most likely just not ship Libreoffice ootb because since they phased out the rpm package after Fedora 38, Libreoffice as Fedora Flatpak is not an option since those are just repackaged Fedora rpms. And Flathub is also not an option because Fedora has a policy that doesn't allow preinstalling software that is not packaged by them.

Not many know this, but for those who don't want to use Flatpak, Libreoffice also ships Appimages, which might be useful for those who want to use a specific version of LO. For example, Flathub only provides the Fresh version, while with LO Appimage you have a plethora of choice - both fresh, still and each one in basic, standard and full variants.

Btw, I heard Ubuntu will also stop shipping LO ootb starting with 23.10.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
              Btw, I heard Ubuntu will also stop shipping LO ootb starting with 23.10.
              What is with these big name distros stopping shipping Libre Office, what do they think people will use instead?

Comment

It will be the last to be based on the historical numbering scheme and going forward a date-based system will be used instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

What is with these big name distros stopping shipping Libre Office, what do they think people will use instead?
                  Anything better that LibreOffice, which isn't exactly hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Anything better that LibreOffice, which isn't exactly hard.
                    Like which for example? When I looked at some alternatives like SoftMaker's FreeOffice or OnlyOffice, they don't seem to offer better MS office compatibility than LibreOffice and they don't even support right to left languages, which is a big no - no for many people.

Comment

Working...
                    X