Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Lands Fragment Shader Interlock Support - Useful For Emulators, DXVK & VKD3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Lands Fragment Shader Interlock Support - Useful For Emulators, DXVK & VKD3D

Phoronix: RADV Lands Fragment Shader Interlock Support - Useful For Emulators, DXVK & VKD3D

Mesa's RADV Radeon Vulkan driver has merged support for VK_EXT_fragment_shader_interlock, which is a highly sought after extension by game emulators and also important for DirectX over Vulkan layering efforts and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I mistaken or have we just witnessed the most complex contribution to RADV from outside the usual Valve, Google, AMD crowd?

Congrats to Vitaliy for getting his work over the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Am I mistaken or have we just witnessed the most complex contribution to RADV from outside the usual Valve, Google, AMD crowd?

Congrats to Vitaliy for getting his work over the finish line.
      Nope, not mistaken, and a first contribution from my impressions. Even Timur said its one of the most complex he's ever seen.
      ​
      There were definitely some fumbles getting it over the line though, and some false alarms with tests, but it's merged. Will probably have some follow ups though, but from it's original state it's changed a ton, kinda have to admit I kinda like that Vitaly writes a book for each comment adding all the context for each part of his thinking. Makes it quite accessible to noobs like myself

Comment

In my case with intel anv appear sometime ago but hardware is too weak (just cause 3 stay around 25fps)

Comment

"Fine... I'll do it myself" moment

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm reading DXVK and VKD3D benefit from this.
            Why didn't Valve contribute this one then?
            It helps the Steam Deck and gaming on Linux in general right?

Comment

Originally posted by WiR3D View Post

kinda have to admit I kinda like that Vitaly writes a book for each comment adding all the context for each part of his thinking. Makes it quite accessible to noobs like myself
              I think the same, it's probably the first time I've read "too many comments" in a review.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                It's FOSS, everybody is free to contribute whatever he wants: it doesn't have to necessarily be Valve
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  Maybe it wasn't a priority for them to implement that specific feature at this time themselves. But as they actively reviewed this massively complex patchset, I'd say they did their fair share of work on this, too, to bring this over the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Maybe it wasn't a priority for them to implement that specific feature at this time themselves. But as they actively reviewed this massively complex patchset, I'd say they did their fair share of work on this, too, to bring this over the finish line.
                    Definitely agree with this, that review effort was not simple. And they had multiple resources including Samuel reviewing it. Let alone the amount of input they gave to get the MR in its final form.

Comment

Working...
                    X