Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fwupd 1.8.15 Released With Support For Updating More Device Firmware Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.8.15 Released With Support For Updating More Device Firmware Under Linux

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.8.15 Released With Support For Updating More Device Firmware Under Linux

LVFS/Fwupd lead developer Richard Hughes of Red Hat today released Fwupd 1.8.15 with fixes and allowing some additional devices to now enjoy firmware updating under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really nice that it includes a changelog!

I just wish Asus, MSI and Gigabyte would add support form fwupd for their motherboards.

Comment

Is it necessary to disable securom to get updates by fwpd?
      Last edited by MorrisS.; 13 May 2023, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I wish they'd get support from HP and Dell to update of their bios/firmware/iLO/kvm stuff.

Comment

Dell already supports fwupd for those devices that come with Linux. It doesn't really make business sense to do so on the ones that come with Windows, now does it? That's a lot of work ($$$) for little return for perhaps at best 1% of their customers many of whom will be gravitating to their Linux offerings anyway. If you want Linux support from Dell, buy a device with Linux, don't buy one with Windows. That's pretty logical.

As for MSI, don't hold your breath.

Comment

I'm talking about their Enterprise stuff.
            like the HP DL380 servers for example.
            I used to manage them in the past and was always fedup in finding the right iso files with various firmware updates.
            From a business point of few it would be nice if all of their server hardware could be updated by a single tool.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
              Dell already supports fwupd for those devices that come with Linux. It doesn't really make business sense to do so on the ones that come with Windows, now does it? That's a lot of work ($$$) for little return for perhaps at best 1% of their customers many of whom will be gravitating to their Linux offerings anyway. If you want Linux support from Dell, buy a device with Linux, don't buy one with Windows. That's pretty logical.

As for MSI, don't hold your breath.
              most motherboard vendors already provide tools to update bios via a live windows environment. couldn't they just adopt fwupd and make a tool that runs it on windows? people already download their bios update tools so its not really anything extra. or is fwupd strictly linux centric?

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                most motherboard vendors already provide tools to update bios via a live windows environment. couldn't they just adopt fwupd and make a tool that runs it on windows? people already download their bios update tools so its not really anything extra. or is fwupd strictly linux centric?
                AFAIK one of the ideas behind fwupd is for vendors to go that route. Each release comes with a windows installer so it is not linux centric.

Comment

Afaik Fwup has an existing Windows installer. So it would be an upgrade to the whole PC ecosystem to use fwupd as de facto STD for upgrading firmware etc. Then vendors don't have to take care of two ways to provide their firmware. Win win for everyone..

Concerning Dell. As much as I dislike their Intel/nvidia centric product lineup I can not complain about their firmware updates. They are always on time with their fwup pipeline in comparison with the official windows firmware update dowbalodable from their support website. Sometimes fwupd is even a day earlier.

Comment

Working...
                  X