Upstream Mesa Close To Supporting The Experimental Xe DRM Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstream Mesa Close To Supporting The Experimental Xe DRM Kernel Driver

Phoronix: Upstream Mesa Close To Supporting The Experimental Xe DRM Kernel Driver

While we are still waiting for the Intel Xe kernel driver to be upstreamed as the modern alternative to the long-used i915 Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver, upstream Mesa Git is nearly ready in supporting the Xe kernel driver and its new/changed interfaces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if this will have benefits for DG2, would be willing to be a guinea pig test if so, but I have yet to look into it

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      I wonder if this will have benefits for DG2, would be willing to be a guinea pig test if so, but I have yet to look into it
      I'm not involved, but... sort of. The main point of this is to split things up so changes made to support the newer graphics architectures don't have to consider effects they might have on the older legacy ones. I think the main benefit will end up being that it's easier and 'cleaner' for developers to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I'm not involved, but... sort of. The main point of this is to split things up so changes made to support the newer graphics architectures don't have to consider effects they might have on the older legacy ones. I think the main benefit will end up being that it's easier and 'cleaner' for developers to work on.
        well I suppose it won't hurt to wait for a bit then compile the kernel, I have an rx580 anyways as a main card so I wont be put down it will just be a bit of a hassle as DG2 for some reason cannot unbind from i915, something I plan on reporting... eventually

Comment

Gee wiz...

I hope this newer driver properly provides $DISPLAY :0.0 and :0.1, rather than :0.0 for two properly defined X/Xorg screens!

I really despise manually clicking/starting applications on my second defined screen/display, rather than just prefixing a command on my main (first) screen using the typical "DISPLAY=0:1 xterm" commands.

As we discussed in the past though, driver will likely be more focused on Wayland, rather than the more stable and more popular X/Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
            Gee wiz...

rather than the more stable and more popular X/Xorg.
            Best joke so far today. So popular, literally no one wants to maintain it and even the people who are paid to do hate every second of it. So stable, crashes at the smallest issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Best joke so far today. So popular, literally no one wants to maintain it and even the people who are paid to do hate every second of it. So stable, crashes at the smallest issue.
              Question is who made X-windows sources into a pile of shit?
              Xorg came into existence because people tried to submit code to XFree86 without proper review.
              They then threw their toys when their commit right were revoked and forked Xorg from XFree and the bunch of cowboys went haywire from there.
              It was only a matter of time before the code became unmaintainable ...

image.png

Last edited by Raka555; 13 April 2023, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Alan Cooper and others have been maintaining it. I have not seen it crash, ever.

I helped a company build a new device and I used the X11 server for the touch screen. It works great.

Comment

Best joke so far today.
                  Your post, yeah.

So popular, literally no one wants to maintain it
                  You want a graph of users again? Getting embarrassed once was not enough?

and even the people who are paid to do hate every second of it.
                  Here we go again with your Wayland idiots. They are not Xorg devs anymore. They moved on and designed this piece of crippled garbage. They were never sane and nobody cares about them. So shut the hell up with your parroting.

So stable, crashes at the smallest issue.
                  Yeah, you just described Wayland compositors.

And Xorg at least doesn't take down your whole system when it does crash once in 6 months.

Comment

When something just works, why knock it?

Developers seemingly spend more time with all the other graphical front ends, such as QT/KDE and GTK+/GNOME for the past 20+ years.

The binary/proprietary drivers are what makes hell hell.

I've had nothing but problems with Wayland. But since most of the QT/KDE/GTK+/GNOME developers seem to spend more time with Wayland, only a matter of time before they finally get it right... then break everything again. Same thing happens with beer drinkers, only a matter of time until they get something right.

Furthermore, maintenance activity is a misnomer for active enthusiasm for a project or an indicator for stability. Maintenance activity is usually due to significant bugs requiring fixing, with an unbalanced amount of enthusiasm. From my experience to this date, X/Xorg is still far more stable than Wayland period, until using proprietary/binary drivers. No amount of additional or newer code will magically make proprietary/binary drivers stable, including Wayland pushing everything into user space. Reducing code is a good thing, however still not stable enough for business/educational use.
                    Last edited by rogerx; 14 April 2023, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X