WebKitGTK Working On Accelerated Composited Rendering With DMA-BUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebKitGTK Working On Accelerated Composited Rendering With DMA-BUF

Phoronix: WebKitGTK Working On Accelerated Composited Rendering With DMA-BUF

While WebKitGTK already provides accelerated compositing support, there are different code paths depending upon whether Wayland or X11 are used and various other complexities involved as well as differences between using the GTK3 and GTK4 toolkits. WebKitGTK developers have been working to instead shift their multiple different code paths toward one route by way of DMA-BUF...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In QT land there were problems with apps using old version of WebKit and patching it in distros with app was issue... Therefore using it in langs like C/C++/Python is problematic, but GUI's could also be platform portable(and also compilable, but this is problematic by law)...

Comment

There are countless browser based on chromium and Firefox. But we don't have enough browser with WebKit. I mean, it should be better than Firefox considering it's made by apple

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        I mean, it should be better than Firefox considering it's made by apple
        Its probably the worst engine currently available, and far behind Gekko and Blink in speed, compatibility and recourse usage. Its the new Trident.
        But the GTK4 port of Web is actually very nice in the 44 release. I consider trying it out for some weeks if the last issues are patched.
        Last edited by Alexmitter; 03 April 2023, 07:49 AM.

Comment

There are countless browser based on chromium and Firefox. But we don't have enough browser with WebKit. I mean, it should be better than Firefox considering it's made by apple
          Safari is a pita. You will love Firefox even more once you touched Safari or do web development.

Comment

Since 2020 WebKitGTK doesn't accept pasting images or any type of data on Linux, even with a patch that solves it:

Widewine support on Epiphany is not possible because of Google, so no Netflix or many other stream services:

(Title is for SEO; I have searched Google and here but couldn't find anything!) Hello, I think supporting DRM is very much more important than extensions,...

I'm not impressed that WebKit is not that relevant on Linux.
            Last edited by evasb; 03 April 2023, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Days where WebKit was fast engine with good standards supports are past. Apple is no longer interested in open source. In fact I'm surprised that WebKit is still open source and they still contribute to it instead of making new things closed source.

As for the GNOME Web I tried GTK4 build and it was working pretty fine, way better than GTK+3 release. With some improvements it could be usable browser for Linux and probably would help in web development due to shared engine with Safari. Sadly lack of DRM support is going to make it useless for many users.

Comment

Finally accelerated rendering. QtWebEngine already has it and I'm happily using it in Falkon for a while now, but it's nice to see WebKitGTK following suite.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                  Since 2020 WebKitGTK doesn't accept pasting images or any type of data on Linux, even with a patch that solves it:
                  I don't have that issue. Maybe it's an issue in GNOME Web, but I don't have it in other WebKitGTK-based apps.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Days where WebKit was fast engine with good standards supports are past. Apple is no longer interested in open source. In fact I'm surprised that WebKit is still open source and they still contribute to it instead of making new things closed source.
                    They realistically cannot do that. WebKit was forked from KHTML and is under the LGPL license. Unless you develop something completely new from scratch or keep things clearly independent, you have to make available under the same license anything you link to WebKit because of LGPL conditions. This isn't something they are doing voluntarily.

Comment

Working...
                    X