Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.04 Preparing To Land Its Linux 6.2 Based Kernel

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.04 Preparing To Land Its Linux 6.2 Based Kernel

The Ubuntu 23.04 "Lunar Lobster" development builds recently transitioned from Linux 5.19 as in use by Ubuntu 22.10/22.04.2 to a Linux 6.1 based kernel. This led some -- including myself -- to wonder if Canonical changed course and shifted to Linux 6.1 LTS instead of the Linux 6.2 kernel that has been out as stable since last month. Fortunately, that's not the case and Ubuntu 23.04 is preparing to soon land Linux 6.2 across all kernel flavors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

based kernel

Comment

Strange decision. It would be more efficient to use LTS kernel in LTS Ubuntu. NIH sindrom or they like to work even more?

Comment

Originally posted by nrndda View Post
        Strange decision. It would be more efficient to use LTS kernel in LTS Ubuntu. NIH sindrom or they like to work even more?
        It's not a LTS Ubuntu release, that will be 24.04, so perfectly fine to do a newer kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by nrndda View Post
          Strange decision.
          Good decision.

Comment

Lunar Lobster will continue being a Lunatic Snapster and less apt I suppose?

Comment

LTS doesn't mean more stable, but it means extended support, Ubuntu 23.04 isn't even a Lts release, why on earth should it stay on 6.1 kernel, when the latest release is 6.2 ?
              It seems to me a logical choice, it would have been illogical to stay on 6.1.

I've been using kernel 6.2 for a while now on Tumbleweed without problems, but I look forward to the arrival of kernel 6.3 which should bring many benefits for btrfs users like me.​

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
                LTS doesn't mean more stable, but it means extended support, Ubuntu 23.04 isn't even a Lts release, why on earth should it stay on 6.1 kernel, when the latest release is 6.2 ?
                It seems to me a logical choice, it would have been illogical to stay on 6.1.

I've been using kernel 6.2 for a while now on Tumbleweed without problems, but I look forward to the arrival of kernel 6.3 which should bring many benefits for btrfs users like me.​
                Yup, just updated from 5.19 to 6.2 on a main ml/ai dev system today... so far really pleased with the results on the threadripper/nvidia system!

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
                  It's not a LTS Ubuntu release, that will be 24.04, so perfectly fine to do a newer kernel.
                  And 23.04, as an interim release, will only be supported for 9 months, so any work Canonical has to do to support 6.2 is itself limited.

Comment

Just updated to my custom built 6.2.6 kernel today on 23.04. Working great. Anybody wants the config file?

Comment

Working...
                    X