Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has Many New CPU/GPU Features Ready For Linux 6.3

Phoronix: AMD Has Many New CPU/GPU Features Ready For Linux 6.3

With the Linux 6.3 merge window opening up following tomorrow's stable debut of the Linux 6.2 kernel, there is a lot to be excited about if you are a customer of AMD's recent CPUs or GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to hear!
    Although I won't be using it on my main AMD workstation (Ryzen CPU plus Radeon GPU) until next Debian stable after incoming Bookworm stable. That will take a while!

Comment

Would any of these upcoming features force nvidia to cut prices, so i can finally be able to afford a nvidia gpu?

Yours truly, the rabid ones that ignore all of nvidia anti open source crap.

That off my chest, really excited to see the changes applied to SteamOS. Really curios about the xilinx-integrated cpu and maybe the update to the tpm usage helps with the stutters that both windows and linux are experiencing.

Comment

How many of these new features depend on or talk to binary blobs, management engines, and such closed things?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
          Would any of these upcoming features force nvidia to cut prices, so i can finally be able to afford a nvidia gpu?
          Comments like this not only make no sense but they show what's really wrong with the market.
          For one thing, Nvidia doesn't give a shit about the Linux desktop market. They profit from Linux workstations and servers, and if you're whining about the prices of those cards, there is nothing AMD or Intel can do about that in the foreseeable future - Nvidia is dominating those markets and it's pretty obvious why that is.
          In any case, if AMD were to, in your perspective, be good enough to force Nvidia to cut prices, wouldn't that mean AMD is now a viable option for you to buy? It's like you're a cat clawing at the door wanting to go outside, someone finally opens the door, and you're like "oh, I guess I don't actually want to go out".
          Last but not least - Nvidia's prices are high specifically because of people who, without question, buy their products. It's no different than people who wanted Intel to join the market so they could force the others to lower prices too. That's how you ruin the market. If too many people refuse to buy competing brands, what incentivizes price drops, and what incentivizes the competitors to try harder?

There are valid reasons to buy Nvidia regardless of price or maintaining a healthy market, but what you're trying to do is buy their product at a point where they are no longer the obviously better choice.

Comment

Speaking of AMD GPU features, does anybody know if Joshua's Linux HDR work will make it into Linux 6.3?

Comment

why not buy a AMD GPU? they are already cheap... or buy an intel gpu they are also very cheap.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

why not buy a AMD GPU? they are already cheap... or buy an intel gpu they are also very cheap.
                Sorry my friend, but i have to say this… wooosh?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Comments like this not only make no sense but they show what's really wrong with the market.
                  For one thing, Nvidia doesn't give a shit about the Linux desktop market. They profit from Linux workstations and servers, and if you're whining about the prices of those cards, there is nothing AMD or Intel can do about that in the foreseeable future - Nvidia is dominating those markets and it's pretty obvious why that is.
                  In any case, if AMD were to, in your perspective, be good enough to force Nvidia to cut prices, wouldn't that mean AMD is now a viable option for you to buy? It's like you're a cat clawing at the door wanting to go outside, someone finally opens the door, and you're like "oh, I guess I don't actually want to go out".
                  Last but not least - Nvidia's prices are high specifically because of people who, without question, buy their products. It's no different than people who wanted Intel to join the market so they could force the others to lower prices too. That's how you ruin the market. If too many people refuse to buy competing brands, what incentivizes price drops, and what incentivizes the competitors to try harder?

There are valid reasons to buy Nvidia regardless of price or maintaining a healthy market, but what you're trying to do is buy their product at a point where they are no longer the obviously better choice.

read the next paragraph….

Comment

Sorry my friend, but i have to say this… wooosh?

in germany i can get an 7900xtx for 1099€

an Nvidia 4080 is 1259

in most benchmarks they have similar performance.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X