Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Will Now Handle Up To 512 CPU Cores / vCPUs

Phoronix: Clear Linux Will Now Handle Up To 512 CPU Cores / vCPUs

Following yesterday's article looking at the performance of Intel's Clear Linux running on AMD EPYC 4th Gen "Genoa" with great performance results even though Clear's kernel was limited to 320 of the 384 available logical CPU cores for the EPYC 9654 2P setup, the kernel has now been adjusted to handle up to 512 CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow we're about 2 generations away from hitting 1990's IRIX cpu core counts (1024+) on Linux.

Comment

Doesn't Intel support up to 8-CPU configurations? Is that a thing, any more? The last CPU I can find that has 8-socket scalability is this 24-core model from 5 years ago:

Still, that should enable 384 threads. So, I'm a little surprised this limit hadn't been raised already.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
        Wow we're about 2 generations away from hitting 1990's IRIX cpu core counts (1024+) on Linux.
        Based on the article, it sounds like Clear Linux just had it set low, for performance reasons. The article goes on to say:

"... still below the top-end lofty limit of of 8192 NR_CPUS set by some Linux distribution vendor kernel builds."

So, it sounds like Linux already passed IRIX, a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Based on the article, it sounds like Clear Linux just had it set low, for performance reasons. The article goes on to say:

"... still below the top-end lofty limit of of 8192 NR_CPUS set by some Linux distribution vendor kernel builds."

So, it sounds like Linux already passed IRIX, a while ago.
          setting the variable high, and actually booting and working reasonably well are three fully separate things....

setting the config higher has a (not super large but still) performance and memory cost so setting much higher than you can boot/test is just wasting cycles and memory...

(will clear linux go higher than 512... I'm sure we will at some point; this was just the easy safe quick fix)

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
            setting the variable high, and actually booting and working reasonably well are three fully separate things....
            The part of the article I quoted claims other vendors actually use such a value. It would be interesting to know who.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              The part of the article I quoted claims other vendors actually use such a value. It would be interesting to know who.
              On the Fedora system I am typing from...

grep NR_CPUS /boot/config-5.19.16-100.fc35.x86_64
              CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8192

Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

On the Fedora system I am typing from...

grep NR_CPUS /boot/config-5.19.16-100.fc35.x86_64
                CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8192

sorry I was not very precise. you can boot with a higher setting on a small system. question is if it'll boot on a system with actual 8192 cpus

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

sorry I was not very precise. you can boot with a higher setting on a small system. question is if it'll boot on a system with actual 8192 cpus
                  Right, yes, I agree. My comment was intended in response to coder's "The part of the article I quoted claims other vendors actually use such a value. It would be interesting to know who.​" as an example of a distribution vendor kernel (Fedora) defaulting to the high value.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                    You're over 15 years of being out of touch with the real word.

Free Online Library: LARGEST LINUX IMAGE ACHIEVED ON SGI ALTIX 4700 BLADE SERVER. by "UNIX Update"; Business Computers and Internet File servers Linux (Operating system) Servers (Computers)

Comment

Working...
                    X