exFAT With Linux 6.2 Allows Creating Files & Directories Much Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exFAT With Linux 6.2 Allows Creating Files & Directories Much Faster

Phoronix: exFAT With Linux 6.2 Allows Creating Files & Directories Much Faster

For those relying on Microsoft's exFAT file-system for your SD cards or USB flash drives, the kernel driver with Linux 6.2 is capable of handling much faster file and directory creation than on prior versions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should we really be promoting interoperability with non-free operating systems directly in the kernel, especially when the filesystem is nonsensical? This just gives people a path towards being stuck in closed ecosystems.

Comment

Related but not related, I found that ntfs is like 10000x faster than exfat in Win11 for traversing folders and stats.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post
        Should we really be promoting interoperability with non-free operating systems directly in the kernel, especially when the filesystem is nonsensical? This just gives people a path towards being stuck in closed ecosystems.
        Some support is better than no support at all.

Comment

Unlike NTFS, F2FS, ETX4, and others you can run variations of FAT/exFAT in embedded systems using free software.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
            Related but not related, I found that ntfs is like 10000x faster than exfat in Win11 for traversing folders and stats.
            Not even match for Ext4 which is ways faster. It's even visible in games like Cyberpunk.

Comment

I will use this message as a poster child representing the open source community friendliness, desire to interoperate and cooperate with different schools of thoughts.

Also I'd be glad to know what makes it nonsensical but I guess you'll never say.
              Last edited by avis; 16 December 2022, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I would have to run Windows more often.

I run two dualboot systems. Running Arch and Win10. Mostly running Arch (like right now, typing this reply). One ExFAT partition to share data. Works great. No hassle with permissions and whatnot.

But the likes of you want me being stuck in a closed ecosystem.

Comment

Go away, Microsoft tr0ll. Not being able to migrate one's data to another system is a prime example of how vendor lock-in works.

Comment

Yes we should. Migrating from non-free OSes to free ones should be as smooth and non-disruptive as possible. The last thing I want to hear is how someone decided to check out this Linux thing and it couldn't even access his pictures or music.

Besides it's not even only about non free OSes. Most USB drives and similar stuff comes formatted in exfat by default these days and people should be able to use them out of the box without having to reformat first (and then they wouldn't be able to use that pendrive to give a file to anyone else because no other os will be able to read it).

Comment

Working...
                    X