Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisplayPort 2.1 Spec Published - All DP 2.0 Devices Compatible

Phoronix: DisplayPort 2.1 Spec Published - All DP 2.0 Devices Compatible

VESA today announced the publishing of the DisplayPort 2.1 specification. As a pleasant change, VESA has been working behind the scenes to see that all DisplayPort 2.0 certified products are actually forward-compatible with this more strict DisplayPort 2.1 specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, that basically confirms the rumours of RDNA3 supporting DP 2.1.

Comment

So, will the next AMD GPUs come at least with DisplayPort 2.0?
      Another thing that I wonder, does DisplayPort support CEC commands?
      It would be really nice to be able to connect the computer to the TV and use its remove control to control programs on the computer like Kodi or KDE's new Big screen program.

Comment

Everyone supports DP 2.1 and requirements are suggestions now! Have a DP 2.1 display, a DP 2.1 cable and a DP 2.1 output? You only have to plug it in to find out if it actually works! No need to read device specs anymore. This is gonna be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          So, will the next AMD GPUs come at least with DisplayPort 2.0?
          Another thing that I wonder, does DisplayPort support CEC commands?
          It would be really nice to be able to connect the computer to the TV and use its remove control to control programs on the computer like Kodi or KDE's new Big screen program.
          Rembrandt iGPUs (so, Ryzen 6000 iGPUs) and the Ryzen 7000 iGPU all come with DisplayPort 2.0, which will supposedly now be compatible with DisplayPort 2.1. It's safe to say (and it's been rumored as well) that the next AMD GPU will support DP 2.1 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            Everyone supports DP 2.1 and requirements are suggestions now! Have a DP 2.1 display, a DP 2.1 cable and a DP 2.1 output? You only have to plug it in to find out if it actually works! No need to read device specs anymore. This is gonna be fun!
            Are you sure you're talking about DisplayPort 2.1, not HDMI 2.1?

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
              If you are talking HDMI, then you're absolutely right. However VESA (the standards body behind Display Port) saw HDMI's 2.0/2.1 confusion, and tightened up their certification language considerably. They require the mfg's to certify their Ultra-high Bit Rate (UHBR) Certification claims on the cable before they can label it such. So if a cable states it supports ""DP80 UHBR", then it must have passed the official certification testing. Likewise with DP40. Of course cheaters will be cheaters, but I value VESA's attempts to avoid HDMI's pathetic miscalculations. Wish their naming scheme didn't remind me so much of SCSI (Ultra2 vs Ultra2 Wide).

Comment

Originally posted by Davonious View Post

If you are talking HDMI, then you're absolutely right. However VESA (the standards body behind Display Port) saw HDMI's 2.0/2.1 confusion, and tightened up their certification language considerably. They require the mfg's to certify their Ultra-high Bit Rate (UHBR) Certification claims on the cable before they can label it such. So if a cable states it supports ""DP80 UHBR", then it must have passed the official certification testing. Likewise with DP40. Of course cheaters will be cheaters, but I value VESA's attempts to avoid HDMI's pathetic miscalculations. Wish their naming scheme didn't remind me so much of SCSI (Ultra2 vs Ultra2 Wide).
                I think a lot of people are still going to just look at "Display Port 2.1" and just automatically assume it's all the same. That's something these groups seem to ignore... not get... understand? about the average person on the street. They're credulous and usually don't bother to look past the surface even if something "is broken". "What can't this just work" has kinda been Apple's guiding mantra on making things simple (despite the occasional mistake). They at least tend to get it. USB, HDMI, etc? Hopelessly clueless on that point, and it shouldn't be that difficult. If your grandmother is going to get confused between two products that have the same name but aren't actually compatible or have different outcomes, then call it something else.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
                  Well, that basically confirms the rumours of RDNA3 supporting DP 2.1.
                  Meanwhile we can make fun of nvidia having DP 1.4 on a $1600 product.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

Meanwhile we can make fun of nvidia having DP 1.4 on a $1600 product.
                    This is such a huge oversight I don't understand what NVIDIA was thinking. Not that many people need DP 2.0 but those who buy a $1600 product absolutely do.
                    Last edited by birdie; 17 October 2022, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X