GNU C Library 2.36 Released With New Functions, More Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU C Library 2.36 Released With New Functions, More Optimizations

Phoronix: GNU C Library 2.36 Released With New Functions, More Optimizations

Released overnight was a new version of Glibc, the GNU C Library, commonly used by Linux systems as the default libc implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if Glibc will become a little more competitive now that LLVM's libc is being worked on

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      - The fsopen, fsmount, move_mount, fsconfig, fspick, open_tree, and mount_setattr functions have been added that correspond to the Linux kerne's new mount APIs.
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      - The process_mrelease function has been added to release the memory of a dying process using the caller's CPU affinity and prirotiy with CPU usage accounted to the caller.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I wonder if Glibc will become a little more competitive now that LLVM's libc is being worked on
        In which areas is GLIBC not competitive? I haven't followed LLVM libc in detail but I know they are doing crazy stuff like trying to write memcpy in C++. There are certain things one writes in assembler, for sound reasons, and it seems these lessons need to be relearned again and again...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Typo:

Whoops thanks!
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PerformanceExpert View Post
            In which areas is GLIBC not competitive?
            - You cannot statically linked with GLIBC
            - GLIBC is huge in binary size
            - A lot of non-std confirmant behavior, mentioned on https://wiki.musl-libc.org/functiona...rom-glibc.html

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
              sure you can.

it also supports a LOT of functions. Besides, on modern systems most of it is shared by all processes using it, and ram has become plentiful.
              Outside of memory-constrained embedded systems this is not an issue, and these tend to use libraries better suited
              for their use case (I remember qnx6 allowed to trim the libc of the final image to contain only the functions that were
              actually used by any process of that image, saved a few kilobytes).

- A lot of non-std confirmant behavior, mentioned on https://wiki.musl-libc.org/functiona...rom-glibc.html
              And yet almost everyone outside of embedded uses it, and and noone has stepped up to rectify these differences. They must be doing something right or the incompatibility with posix is not as grave as you think.

Comment

Of course you can statically link with GLIBC. GLIBC is large because it has lots of features and supports lots of targets and many optimizations. But how does its size matter given it is shared across many binaries? I don't see any non-standard behaviour in your link, it's not a bug if you support additional floating point formats or printf specifiers. It's funny you mention MUSL, they seem religiously against optimization - even today many MUSL string functions simply process one byte at a time without any optimization whatsoever. Good luck with that!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  Competition with musl already greatly improved glibc. For instance with libpthread removal. Also musl author's opinion on the LLVM's libc was a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Ub42 View Post
                    Also musl author's opinion on the LLVM's libc was a good read.
                    His third point is incredibly important, but I'm sure it'll be ignored by the llvm developers...

Comment

Working...
                    X