No announcement yet.

Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Ready To Switch To Lazy Descriptors - Big Performance Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Ready To Switch To Lazy Descriptors - Big Performance Win

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Ready To Switch To Lazy Descriptors - Big Performance Win

Mesa's Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan implementation is finally ready to enable lazy descriptors by default, which in turn will mean better performance for this generic OpenGL implementation across many games/applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

soon ill be using zink in my VM's assuming I can get crosvm to boot qcow2 and isos directly, instead of needing to boot kernel, initrd rootfs etc.

Comment

Well if you want better performancei n minecraft there are better ways, like sodium. You can also get some wins with JVM arguments but information about which args improve performance is scarce, even for the servers (which is funny cuz on the servers it's actually critical to use them if you want decent performance). Improving singleplayer performance with JVM args is gonna be much more diminishing returns kind of thing tho.

Back on topic tho, this is pretty cool, feels like zink somehow finally became noteworthy with this one update. It's not far off now from native driver performance. It's actually good enough now that in many cases you wouldn't really be missing out on anything worthwhile by using it over native GL drivers.

Gonna be so funny when the mac users are gonna run opengl -> vulkan -> metal translation layers to circumvent the limits of macos opengl support since apple doesn't care about it. I will never understand why people actually use that piece of garbage OS lol; nor will I ever understand what madness drove apple to believe developing their own graphics API was a good idea when they clearly don't have very good software developers (otherwise macos wouldn't be so bad at literally everything after all).
      Last edited by rabcor; 19 July 2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

One API to rule them all
        One API to find them
        One API to bring them all
        And in the darkness bind them -- Lord of the Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by caligula
          Maybe a non-binary gender?
          The fuck are you talking about?

Comment

Oh good just in time to grab the popcorn

Comment

This remind me of when radeonsi was catching up to the proprietary stack.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                Well if you want better performancei n minecraft there are better ways, like sodium. You can also get some wins with JVM arguments but information about which args improve performance is scarce, even for the servers (which is funny cuz on the servers it's actually critical to use them if you want decent performance). Improving singleplayer performance with JVM args is gonna be much more diminishing returns kind of thing tho.
                I’ve been looking for info about this as I’ve been running a small server for me and my friends. Do you know where I can learn more about it? Everything I find seems outdated to java 11 minecraft era.

Comment

otherwise macos wouldn't be so bad at literally everything after all).
                  Oh come now. Surely you don't contest that MacOS is most excellent at extracting money from its users' wallets, and preventing its users from having choices, while at the same time attracting the personalities who purport to most desire choice? lol.

Herestothecrazyones1x1+2.png

Comment

... nor will I ever understand what madness drove apple to believe developing their own graphics API was a good idea when they clearly don't have very good software developers (otherwise macos wouldn't be so bad at literally everything after all).
                    I don't like Mac, and I've said the same thing. However, somebody pointed out to me that Apple started Metal before Vulkan was a thing (2014 vs 2016 releases), so it's not "fair" to them. Now, I still say that they should have dropped Metal when that changed, but it's an interesting point.

Comment

Working...
                    X