Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.26 Eyes Using C++20 Features

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.26 Eyes Using C++20 Features

KDE developers are looking at possibly making use of C++20 language features within the Plasma 5.26 desktop and the newer C++ usage could work its way to other KDE components with time too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why do we need to care about people who refuse to update or use outdated distro?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      why do we need to care about people who refuse to update or use outdated distro?
      Maybe the maintainer in debian/ubuntu can use gcc 11 to compile kde and backport it.

Comment

Given that neither clang nor gcc appear to fully* support the c++20 standard, perhaps this is a smidgen premature?

*: source

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
          Given that neither clang nor gcc appear to fully* support the c++20 standard, perhaps this is a smidgen premature?

It looks like they don't want to go full in with C++20 but primarily use it for coroutines. Async programming became quite widespread and mainstream in the last years. C# & JS have been supporting it for years, Go is built around its goroutines, (stable) Rust recently got async/await, Linux got uring buffer ...

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Being KDE an open source project, it shouldn't be a problem to switch to a newer release of compiler + std library, even if gcc were to change its ABI.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              because of the main target : Users
              Not all users prefer to use latest distros and you couldnt ignore most of users prefer to use lts versions of distros such as
              ubuntu 16.04. The problem begins with distros prolong their lts support times double than it has to be. I can understand those long
              lts support times for server and iot systems but for desktop it is a little problematic to switch good gems.
              Especially last 2 years linux and most of new shiny technological things get inside our life and those long lts supports made things a little diffucult for devs
              because they need more users. The main thing is to have more users not to have lastest good things that make devs life easier

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

Not all users prefer to use latest distros and you couldnt ignore most of users prefer to use lts versions of distros such as
                ubuntu 16.04.
                If you use a LTS distro for - well - stability reasons, how likely is it to build & use bleeding edge desktop packages? Does not compute.

Comment

Improve, improve please!

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

ubuntu 16.04. The problem begins with distros prolong their lts support times double than it has to be. I can understand those long
                    lts support times for server and iot systems but for desktop it is a little problematic to switch good gems.
                    Especially last 2 years linux and most of new shiny technological things get inside our life and those long lts supports made things a little diffucult for devs
                    because they need more users. The main thing is to have more users not to have lastest good things that make devs life easier
                    Can't speak to Ubuntu, but fwiw RHEL7/CentOS-7 (native gcc-4.8.5) have devtoolset-N-gcc-c++ development packages for N a small integer between 7 and 11 inclusive.
                    CentOS Stream 8 (native gcc-8.5.0) has gcc-toolset-9-gcc-c++, gcc-toolset-10-gcc-c++, gcc-toolset-11-gcc-c++
                    CentOS Stream 9 (native gcc-11.3.1) has gcc-toolset-12-gcc-c++
                    These allow one to compile and run relatively modern C++ applications on RHEL LTS systems. I've tested GUI apps that work Just Fine, but don't know about installing and running a complete desktop. But seems counterintuitive on an LTS.

Neither do I ubuntu, but recent gcc packages may be available there as well:

I was able to install gcc 10 but I need 10.2 not 10 and it keeps telling me gcc10.2 does not exist, well it does and I tried installing it by compiling and building it in the command line however t...

Comment

Working...
                    X