Rust Code Updated For The Linux Kernel - Networking & Async Support Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Code Updated For The Linux Kernel - Networking & Async Support Started

Phoronix: Rust Code Updated For The Linux Kernel - Networking & Async Support Started

Making for an exciting Saturday morning, Miguel Ojeda has posted the latest patch series plumbing Rust language support into the Linux kernel. The "Rust for the Linux kernel" patches are now up to their sixth version for adding the necessary infrastructure for this second, optional language to the kernel plus continuing to add more sample code / basic functionality for showing off use of this memory-safety-focused language for kernel purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Having "Async" supported within the kernel would certainly make it a very interesting proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Having "Async" supported within the kernel would certainly make it a very interesting proposition.
      I'm interested in what they're going to do about the executor. I somehow doubt the kernel team will be too keen on modules pulling in Tokio

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

I'm interested in what they're going to do about the executor. I somehow doubt the kernel team will be too keen on modules pulling in Tokio
        Followed by an attack by Godzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Followed by an attack by Godzilla.
          With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
          He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Comment

It is impossible to use tokio in kernel space, as tokio uses syscalls provided by the kernel.

The kernel will likely have its own executor, probably plug into the kernel's own async infrastructure.
            Last edited by NobodyXu; 07 May 2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

The same thing that embedded programmers are already doing with Rust. There's already multiple async executors available for embedded platforms, just as there are multiple userspace executors, and multiple Linux-exclusive userspace executors. Write your own executor that is based on the functionality of the platform you're targeting. Whether that's making internal kernel calls directly or leveraging an existing C API. Rust futures are just state machines. They'll run on any executor.

Comment

They have implemented their own executed `kasync` https://github.com/wedsonaf/linux/bl...nc/executor.rs

Comment

I worry if Linux releases graphics drivers in Rust that all the down source users of the code like all the *BSDs and even niche operating systems like Haiku will have to somehow shoehorn Rust into their OS too. That isn't a problem for AMD64 or AArch64 but is a problem for OpenBSD and NetBSD that support MIPS and SPARC and SPARC64 that don't have Rust support for those architectures. I guess that isn't a problem for say the Intel integrated graphics stack that is only found on AMD64 CPUs but what about discrete graphics cards, network cards, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    That isn't a problem for AMD64 or AArch64 but is a problem for OpenBSD and NetBSD that support MIPS and SPARC and SPARC64 that don't have Rust support for those architectures. I guess that isn't a problem for say the Intel integrated graphics stack that is only found on AMD64 CPUs but what about discrete graphics cards, network cards, etc?
                    I don't get that point, it is not like it is impossible to add new targets in Rust... if demand will be for a new target I am pretty sure we will get one.
                    Mips is already in Tier 2 with Host Tools https://doc.rust-lang.org/nightly/ru...ith-host-tools and Sparc is in Tier 2 without them.

Comment

Working...
                    X