Lennart Talks Up The Power Of systemd-sysext For Testing /usr Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennart Talks Up The Power Of systemd-sysext For Testing /usr Changes

Phoronix: Lennart Talks Up The Power Of systemd-sysext For Testing /usr Changes

Systemd lead developer Lennart Poettering is out with his first blog post since last September. Today he's relaying the power of the systemd-sysext component shipped as part of systemd for loading/merging "system extension" images on the system for manipulating the exposed /usr...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this may be useful for accelerating boot times on HDD (e.g. by loading the OverlayFS into memory and then mounting it using sysext).

Comment

Hopefully systemd will manage each executable in /usr/bin/ with multiple extensions. I say one extension for each file also in /etc/, there should be no limit to what systemd does. /sarcasm

What's wrong with including binaries in your $PATH or copy stuff to /usr/local/ or use overlayfs and others without systemd? Or just Snap / AppImage / Flatpak?

I somewhat like systemd but it's becoming a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
        What's wrong with including binaries in your $PATH or copy stuff to /usr/local/ or use overlayfs and others without systemd? Or just Snap / AppImage / Flatpak?
        Why not just read the blog post?

Nobody is stopping you from doing it in another way.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          I hope this may be useful for accelerating boot times on HDD (e.g. by loading the OverlayFS into memory and then mounting it using sysext).
          I didn't get it, how do you mean?

Comment

Frankly, the time of systemd is up.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post

Snap, Appimage and Flatpak solve a different problem. Overlayfs without systems is certainly possible, but what benefit would that bring, exactly?

Comment

I already like it. PATH indeed works but sometimes it simply doesn't. And those sometimes are really annoying if systemd makes it easy reliable and quite secure - why not?
                Don't get the systemd hatred anyway.

There are enough distros without systemd and without Wayland....whatsoever
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 27 April 2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Heh. I found a typo that tildearrow missed in the third paragraph.

Among hte many possible use-cases for systemd-sysext
                  I feel like I'm 3 out of 100 that thinks this is a good idea.

tildearrow I think it'll be negligible for HDD boot speeds since reading from a HDD will still the bottleneck. Tossing a bunch of sysext stuff into ram post-boot for regular application speed increases, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Snap, Appimage and Flatpak solve a different problem. Overlayfs without systems is certainly possible, but what benefit would that bring, exactly?
                    Standardization.

Comment

Working...
                    X