Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2022.Q2.1 Released With Fixes, New Extension

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2022.Q2.1 Released With Fixes, New Extension

It had been over one month since the last AMDVLK code drop while now has been succeeded by a new AMDVLK version bring one new extension and several fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any reason why is this code-drop open-source?
    It kind of takes away the "community" feeling of open-source...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Code-Drop AMD is better than No-Drop NVIDIA

Funny coincidence that I buy a game, realize it supports Vulkan when going to get it running, and then the next morning there's a new AMDVLK drop to compile and try out. What surprised me is that in the 70 or so reports on ProtonDB not a single person (other than me today) reported that Farming Simulator 22 could use Vulkan instead of DX11. One post mentions using RADV over AMDVLK due to AMDVLK crashes, but I'm assuming that's with DX11>DXVK>AMDVLK since that's what all the other posts suggest (using DX11).

EDIT: And now that it has compiled, this AMDVLK release is noticeably subpar when compared to RADV with Farming Simulator 22 using Proton+Vulkan. Stutters galore and some texture flickering going on. Since I saw FS22 in the Windows Driver release notes at the end of last year I had high hopes for AMDVLK working well here.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 06 April 2022, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I think it has to do with the fact that AMDVLK was originally closed source only before 2018, so maybe thats why they can't change to completely open development model like Mesa.
        If you mean why is there even an open source version of AMDVLK, then I think it benefits some of the clients that use AMDVLK, like Stadia. I've also seen it periodically receives some contributions from Google and others.
        Also, back in 2016-2017 nobody knew that RADV is going to be so good today, so back then it made even more sense for AMD to release an open source version of AMDVLK.
        Last edited by user1; 06 April 2022, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Code-Drop AMD is better than No-Drop NVIDIA

Funny coincidence that I buy a game, realize it supports Vulkan when going to get it running, and then the next morning there's a new AMDVLK drop to compile and try out. What surprised me is that in the 70 or so reports on ProtonDB not a single person (other than me today) reported that Farming Simulator 22 could use Vulkan instead of DX11. One post mentions using RADV over AMDVLK due to AMDVLK crashes, but I'm assuming that's with DX11>DXVK>AMDVLK since that's what all the other posts suggest (using DX11).

EDIT: And now that it has compiled, this AMDVLK release is noticeably subpar when compared to RADV with Farming Simulator 22 using Proton+Vulkan. Stutters galore and some texture flickering going on. Since I saw FS22 in the Windows Driver release notes at the end of last year I had high hopes for AMDVLK working well here.
          Which games have ever been performing better on AMDVLK vs. RADV?
          And if they did in the past, is it still true today?

Comment

Somebody somewhere signed a contract that said there would be open source drivers. So now we get these compliance code drops.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Which games have ever been performing better on AMDVLK vs. RADV?
              And if they did in the past, is it still true today?
              A while back, like 2018 or 2019, Hitman 2 and The Witness both had the same FPS but better frame times with AMDVLK and with other games I couldn't tell the difference between AMDVLK and RADV unless I looked at the numbers (meaning both hit 1080p60 but AMDVLK had better frame times and less input lag). That was a short window because RADV soon became my renderer of choice for both of those games and all others.

Early 2021 is when I quit doing regular testing between AMDVLK and RADV. I used to try my games with all three (including AMDVLK-Pro) but since 2020 RADV has just been better in every way I could test. If it wasn't for the odd timing between release and game purchase I doubt I'd have tried this AMDVLK.

AMDVLK-Pro almost always was the worst of the three. It's nifty that it exists, but that's it.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 06 April 2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

If you mean why is there even an open source version of AMDVLK, then I think it benefits some of the clients that use AMDVLK, like Stadia.
                I am not so sure about this. In this page Micheal claim that Stadia was on RADV, and I have the impression of reading it somewhere else too. But I can't find a more reliable info so you maybe right.

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Also, back in 2016-2017 nobody knew that RADV is going to be so good today, so back then it made even more sense for AMD to release an open source version of AMDVLK.
                Since the first AMDVLK drop RADV has been better. Look at this benchmarks made close to that launch: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...mdgpupro&num=1

Comment

Originally posted by jonix View Post

I am not so sure about this. In this page Micheal claim that Stadia was on RADV, and I have the impression of reading it somewhere else too. But I can't find a more reliable info so you maybe right.

Since the first AMDVLK drop RADV has been better. Look at this benchmarks made close to that launch: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...mdgpupro&num=1
                  Stadia definitely uses AMDVLK -- and is definitely dead!

Comment

Working...
                  X