Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.207 Brings Another New Extension From Valve

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.207 Brings Another New Extension From Valve

Vulkan 1.3.207 is out as the latest routine update to this high performance graphics / compute API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VK_VALVE_descriptor_set_host_mapping is only for use within "specific embedded environments"
    How come DX12-to-Vulkan (VKD3D-Proton) suddenly became so niche?

Comment

And what kind of embedded environment needs DX12 to Vulkan translation? Embedded usually implies some kind of microcontrollers and such.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        And what kind of embedded environment needs DX12 to Vulkan translation? Embedded usually implies some kind of microcontrollers and such.
        That's probably a minced oath for Steam Deck.

Comment

Is this only viable due to the shared system memory in APUs (i.e. in the Steam Deck) or could other environments with dGPUs which have their own VRAM also benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That's probably a minced oath for Steam Deck.
            That's a strange way to phrase it. Mobile would be a more appropriate term.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

That's a strange way to phrase it. Mobile would be a more appropriate term.
              "Portable/stationary hybrid electronic amusement apparatus"

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                Is this only viable due to the shared system memory in APUs (i.e. in the Steam Deck) or could other environments with dGPUs which have their own VRAM also benefit?
                Isn't APU the future? Most computers are notebooks (desktops are a minority and many are just cheap office ones with APU) and two GPUs is a pain (even on Windows). of course there always will be expensive dGPUs with so much VRAM that no transfer is needed with system RAM, at least for games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Isn't APU the future?
                  It seems so given the apparent death of discrete GPU's for the desktop/gaming PC (because there ALL being used for coin mining and prices keep skyrocketing each gen release)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

It seems so given the apparent death of discrete GPU's for the desktop/gaming PC (because there ALL being used for coin mining and prices keep skyrocketing each gen release)
                    It's days like these that I think we need to be more like the Romulans and just ban things like AI, NFT, and CryptoCurrency.

Just let me figure out how to sell pictures of my cat for hundreds of thousands of dollars a piece first.

Comment

Working...
                    X