Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.16 Will Be A Great Christmas Gift For Open-Source Fans With Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.16 Will Be A Great Christmas Gift For Open-Source Fans With Many New Features

Phoronix: Linux 5.16 Will Be A Great Christmas Gift For Open-Source Fans With Many New Features

While Linux 5.15 isn't even making its debut for another week or two, there is already a lot to look forward to when it comes to Linux 5.16. Here is a look at some of the new features expected for the 5.16 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which is the LTS kernel after 5.10?

Comment

Well, for me, the kernel would be a great Christmas gift only if a new GPU is this year's great Christmas gift. Since I had to pick out a buy a $380 gift for myself a few days ago it won't be a GPU. It's going to fscking suck knowing that Kolari Pocket and filter set is just sitting in a closet waiting for me.

Originally posted by down1 View Post
      To wager an educated guess: 5.15. I think it'll end up as the last release of the year and become the next LTS.

Comment

last one of the year i believe, which this year would mean 5.15.

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post
          Typically the last release of the year, although, as with all else, there can be exceptions. Also, typically, due to "the holidays" meaning many developers are less available, one does not see a release in the last week of December to the New Year. So, that likely means 5.15 will be nominated to be this years LTS release.

Comment

Thanks. I was unaware it was decided after the release.

Comment

Given the chip shortage, it's a good idea to focus on software: I will offer the 5.16 Linux kernel to my son this year

Comment

The only things I find great to have are the Futex2 and DisplayPort 2 enablement.
                But I'm sure the shitty Canonical will once again choose an older kernel for 22.04 LTS !
                They don't want to give gamers a better experience by default and put Windows in a bad light, especially now with Windows 11, which could upset their big source of funding Microsoft.
                I still remember when they were even prepared to shoot themselves into the foot by removing 32bit support, which is much needed for games.
                At least now they do more subtle things to hinder Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I still remember when they were even prepared to shoot themselves into the foot by removing 32bit support, which is much needed for games.
                  Is this still an issue given that steam can run through flatpak?

Unrelated: Jesus vbullettin is cr*p on mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Well, for me, the kernel would be a great Christmas gift only if a new GPU is this year's great Christmas gift. Since I had to pick out a buy a $380 gift for myself a few days ago it won't be a GPU. It's going to fscking suck knowing that Kolari Pocket and filter set is just sitting in a closet waiting for me.

To wager an educated guess: 5.15. I think it'll end up as the last release of the year and become the next LTS.
                    unfortunately 5.15 since 5.16 only become in January

Comment

Working...
                    X