Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces The IPU - Infrastructure Processing Unit

Phoronix: Intel Announces The IPU - Infrastructure Processing Unit

Intel today went public with their vision and early work around a "Infrastructure Processing Unit" (IPU) as their newest ware for data centers and cloud providers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DPU vs IPU someone light the Phoronix bench request sky signal.

Comment

"FPGAs - straight out of stock exchanges to your nearest datacenter."

Comment

New ipu security vulnerabilities maybe possibe by Intel(r) 😉

Comment

Nothing but PMB--pure marketing bullshit.

Intel has forgotten how to engineer and design products USEFUL for computation, and have now lapsed into the mode of putting whipped cream on a turd--and using all their energies in telling you how great it tastes, but nothing more.

When does Intel get into the real-estate business?--the dead giveaway that an enterprise has completely lost its compass.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
            Nothing but PMB--pure marketing bullshit.

Intel has forgotten how to engineer and design products USEFUL for computation, and have now lapsed into the mode of putting whipped cream on a turd--and using all their energies in telling you how great it tastes, but nothing more.

When does Intel get into the real-estate business?--the dead giveaway that an enterprise has completely lost its compass.
            You sure about that? In servers, how useful and commonly used would this be? Is offloading to dedicated circuits bad now?

Comment

Sounds like a potential mess with proprietary software modules all over the place. While I cross my fingers that this will actually be a good thing I can't help thinking that most of this could be solved by throwing more CPU cores at it. Offloading is good for the most part, but this seem to add a lot of complexity.

And one more thing.... the video of the guy at Intel sickens me. He uses all the hand movement and body language crap that everyone else uses. Nothing is genuine anymore , just marketing psychology crap - I hate it!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                Sounds like a potential mess with proprietary software modules all over the place. While I cross my fingers that this will actually be a good thing I can't help thinking that most of this could be solved by throwing more CPU cores at it.
                The separation seems good to me. For example, if Intel decides to add co-packaged optics, it could conceivably be for only the IPU in the node, instead of to multiple CPUs.

I also wonder if the plan is to rid the server CPUs from the proprietary UPI interconnects and onto CXL for coherence, with the IPU being the CXL master.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

You sure about that? In servers, how useful and commonly used would this be? Is offloading to dedicated circuits bad now?
                  No, the idea itself is great. It's just that they are trying to sell something that has been existing for decades (FPGAs) under a fresh new marketing name.

Comment

I find it funny that AMD has the APU and Intel has the IPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X