No announcement yet.

Google Working On Open-Sourcing Their Fibers User-Space Scheduling Framework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Working On Open-Sourcing Their Fibers User-Space Scheduling Framework

Phoronix: Google Working On Open-Sourcing Their Fibers User-Space Scheduling Framework

For a number of years Google has developed Fibers (not to be confused with Google Fiber, their fiber Internet service) as a user-space scheduling framework. While it hasn't been open-source, the few public papers and talks on Google Fibers has been quite interesting for great performance and a novel design. Finally though Google is working towards open-sourcing Fibers and hoping to get the necessary Linux kernel modifications upstreamed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Goroutines would be an obvious use case for this. I can also see a Rust async executor based on those fibers.

Comment

Working towards lower latency will forever remain an awesome goal to achieve!

Thanks great Google!
      (And please stop working on "Fuchsia", as I don't like that it's pronounced similar to 'future'...)

Comment

Great... but it disappoints me to see these conversations and no mention of Erlang. IMO a far nicer and useful concurrency model compared to CSP models like Go's.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
          (And please stop working on "Fuchsia", as I don't like that it's pronounced similar to 'future'...)
          Read both in portuguese accent:

Fooshya
          Footoore ('t' like in "to")

ahaha

Comment

Originally posted by jacob
            Goroutines would be an obvious use case for this. I can also see a Rust async executor based on those fibers.
            They are using this work for their services. They are trying to upstream it to reduce the burden of maintaining their frankenkernel.

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post

They are using this work for their services. They are trying to upstream it to reduce the burden of maintaining their frankenkernel.
              Well that's what open source is for, right?

Comment

Originally posted by trapexit View Post
                Great... but it disappoints me to see these conversations and no mention of Erlang. IMO a far nicer and useful concurrency model compared to CSP models like Go's.
                Up to a point that's true, but Erlang is basically a DSL while Go support will affect a large part of the ecosystem

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Up to a point that's true, but Erlang is basically a DSL while Go support will affect a large part of the ecosystem
                  DSL? If the domain you're talking about is just about anything... then yes? It's a general purpose language. It is arguably the most accurately OOP language ever written to have mainstream use. Actors are hardly domain specific in their use cases.
                  Last edited by trapexit; 10 June 2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Finally. I want to use this so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X