Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12-rc3 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 5.12-rc3 Kernel Released

Following the emergency Linux 5.12-rc2 kernel release nine days ago, the Linux 5.12-rc3 is out today as a more pleasant release candidate that is back on the usual Sunday release regiment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty good news that it looks like this particularly exciting kernel upgrade will most likely release on schedule, which in turn will allow me to return openSUSE Tumbleweed's "default" kernel flavour back to it's former glory of being a fully-preemptible kernel thanks to DYNAMIC_PREEMPT!
    And before anyone wonders (though most likely no one will, getting to know the typical Linux user over the years):
    Yes, I've already checked & yes, SuSE's kernel config already enables HAVE_STATIC_CALL_INLINE, therefore the overhead of enabling PREEMPT will be practically non-existent - everybody, you may rejoice now!

Comment

Announcement link goes to wrong place if I turn on reader mode in browser. Not sure if it is website coding or screwy mobile browser.
      Last edited by jetwalsh; 14 March 2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

The problem is the damage is done.
        I will never have the confidence to add a swapfile again to a machine on the fly...if ever using a swapfile again

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          The problem is the damage is done.
          I will never have the confidence to add a swapfile again to a machine on the fly...if ever using a swapfile again
          You don't have any confidence in swap files because of a bug that was only present in rc1? I'd suggest staying away from all software if you cannot tolerate any bugs occurring in early development releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

You don't have any confidence in swap files because of a bug that was only present in rc1? I'd suggest staying away from all software if you cannot tolerate any bugs occurring in early development releases.
            It means those parts are "connected".
            If it happened once, it can happen again ...

And next time might be more subtle.

Comment

That's true for any non trivial piece of software.
              Also, if you want to be safer you should avoid updating to new stable versions on day one.

Comment

Who is disputing that the swap file bug was connected to kernel development?

I don't think Linux having bugs is unique to Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X