Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Touch Bar Linux Driver Hopes For Upstream In 2021

Phoronix: Apple Touch Bar Linux Driver Hopes For Upstream In 2021

For more than four years Apple's MacBook Pro has featured the Touch Bar as a display / control bar input device above the keyboard on these laptops. While there have been reports of Apple potentially phasing out the Touch Bar in future models, an open-source Linux driver for the component is still working its way toward the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Things still not working (wifi, audio);

State of Linux on the MacBook Pro 2016 & 2017. Contribute to Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux development by creating an account on GitHub.
    Last edited by elatllat; 28 February 2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Why? The touch bar has already been scrapped.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        No, it hasn't https://www.apple.com/v/macbook-pro-...u_large_2x.jpg and the existing devices don't just evaporate.

Comment

Old hardware never dies, it just turns into someones Linux box who then wants driver and kernel support for 20 years....

Comment

Glad to see the start of upstreaming this code. Handling the many out-of-tree and poorly maintained gits for this code has been a real PITA.

Comment

Next time vote with your wallet.

Comment

Heh. Maybe under Linux the 'feature' may find some actual use. I work in a creative sector where I am pretty much the only non-Mac user in the entire department, and even I can't find anyone that ever had anything good to say about the touch bar!

Comment

Linux is famous for supporting old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Linux is famous for supporting old stuff.
                    There are quite a few hardware where I would have loved to see Linux running first. Super Famicom for example...

Comment

Working...
                    X