MPV Player 0.30 Released For This Advanced Open-Source Video Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV Player 0.30 Released For This Advanced Open-Source Video Player

Phoronix: MPV Player 0.30 Released For This Advanced Open-Source Video Player

MPV 0.30 is out as the newest release to this cross-platform, open-source video player derived from MPlayer/mplayer2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

shaderc is still missing in Debian, that prevents mpv from being used with Vulkan.

Comment

There are issues with vulkan and intel-media-driver, see https://github.com/intel/media-driver/issues/761

Comment

It's available already on Arch and this release works quite well for me with Vulkan and Wayland. I had some issues before and I couldn't use it on Vulkan, but this seems to be solved now :-)

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          It's available already on Arch and this release works quite well for me with Vulkan and Wayland. I had some issues before and I couldn't use it on Vulkan, but this seems to be solved now :-)
          The Arch package doesn't support Vulkan, so not sure how you can claim to be using it. mpv's native Vulkan support was ripped out, libplacebo is needed now for Vulkan, but the Arch mpv package doesn't list libplacebo as dependency, so it was built without it.

Edit: Actually, the Arch mpv *is* built with libplacebo. I traced the dependencies, Arch's ffmpeg is built with dav1d and that one in turn depends on libplacebo. So what you say checks out, there were some significant Wayland improvements made just before the 0.30.0 release.
          Last edited by Gusar; 25 October 2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            The Arch package doesn't support Vulkan, so not sure how you can claim to be using it. mpv's native Vulkan support was ripped out, libplacebo is needed now for Vulkan, but the Arch mpv package doesn't list libplacebo as dependency, so it was built without it.

Edit: Actually, the Arch mpv *is* built with libplacebo. I traced the dependencies, Arch's ffmpeg is built with dav1d and that one in turn depends on libplacebo. So what you say checks out, there were some significant Wayland improvements made just before the 0.30.0 release.
            Thanks for verifying, I was worried for a moment that I didn't use mpv correctly :-) But it's just about adding --gpu-api=vulkan anyway and there is then a warning about the experimental compiler backend. Wayland is used by default.

Comment

Oh, may be then on Debian it would work now too.

Comment

So basically nobody can use this thing due to packaging issues. That's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                  So basically nobody can use this thing due to packaging issues. That's fun.
                  I don't know, it works fine here.

Comment

Once updated to mpv 0.30, I have some glitches on SMplayer.
                    The pause and stop buttons are blocked and one started a video I can't stop or pause it anymore.
                    Xubuntu 19.04 SMplayer latest version (i tried both official and git versions)

Comment

Working...
                    X