Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OmniOS r151030y Brings Microcode Updates For Intel, Zen Topology Updates For AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OmniOS r151030y Brings Microcode Updates For Intel, Zen Topology Updates For AMD

Phoronix: OmniOS r151030y Brings Microcode Updates For Intel, Zen Topology Updates For AMD

OmniOS Community Edition remains one of the few successful Illumos/Solaris operating systems outside Oracle. OmniOS CE r151030y was released today along with other older build updates to address the recent sudo vulnerability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems like Illumos has been in what is essentially maintenance mode for a while now, unfortunately.

Looking at the primary supporters of illumos it doesn't look great for the project:
    • Delphix switched to Linux
    • Joyent closed their public cloud (and several notable engineers have left)
    • OmniTI abandoned OmniOS and then later went out of business
    • Nexenta is pushing their NexentaEdge object storage product, which is based on Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
      It seems like Illumos has been in what is essentially maintenance mode for a while now, unfortunately.

Looking at the primary supporters of illumos it doesn't look great for the project:
      • Delphix switched to Linux
      • Joyent closed their public cloud (and several notable engineers have left)
      • OmniTI abandoned OmniOS and then later went out of business
      • Nexenta is pushing their NexentaEdge object storage product, which is based on Linux
      Also ZFS's "true upstream" is being replaced with the ZoL codebase (by either switching to Linux outright, or by adding FreeBSD target to ZoL for FreeBSD/FreeNAS)

Comment

Solaris for the poor people

Oracle Solaris costs 1k usd per year !
        Up to 16 or cores 24 can't remember exactly.
        Checked it last week and it left me speechless.
        Also killed all my hopes of Oracle unleashing Solaris in some free/open source license

Comment

Originally posted by Dedobot View Post
          Solaris for the poor people

Oracle Solaris costs 1k usd per year !
          Up to 16 or cores 24 can't remember exactly.
          Checked it last week and it left me speechless.
          Also killed all my hopes of Oracle unleashing Solaris in some free/open source license
          It's being counted socket-wise, not by cores.
          Now check comparable RHEL subscription pricing. Solaris is more or less in the same ballbark if a bit cheaper.
          You can use Oracle's Solaris for free, for development, trial, etc, just not for "production".

Comment

Working...
          X