Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 vs. Clear Linux vs. Debian 10.1 Benchmarks On An Intel Core i9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 vs. Clear Linux vs. Debian 10.1 Benchmarks On An Intel Core i9

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 vs. Clear Linux vs. Debian 10.1 Benchmarks On An Intel Core i9

Earlier this week I provided some fresh Windows vs. Linux web browser benchmarks for both Firefox and Chrome. For those curious how the current Windows 10 vs. Linux performance is for other workloads, here is a fresh look across a variety of software applications and while testing the near-final Ubuntu 19.10, Intel's rolling-release Clear Linux, and Debian 10.1 while running off an Intel Core i9 HEDT platform.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is Ubuntu ranking so much lower on these and previous benchmarks? Would Ubuntu win, on the other hand, in things like interactive responsiveness?

Comment

As I noted in the last Windows test, the OS is currently running static in performance and unless MSFT comes out with a new release in the server space, it will probably remain under performing for a period of time. Just 2 weeks ago Satya Nadella said Windows desktop was not the primary driver of Microsoft anymore. Since Terry Myerson left in 2018, many think the Creator's Update was his last involvement and the pipeline for it is running dry.

Just like Intel falling asleep allowing AMD to get a running restart, this pause in Windows desktop is a perfect chance for Desktop Linux to get its collective act together.

Comment

Nice to see Debian performing so well. Some like say to Debian is just old software, I just call it stable and non-bloated.

Comment

Cannonical has lost their mojo. Happens to every big distro eventually - too many side projects and dead-end projects, not enough focus on performance and usability. That's why MX has more than triple Ubuntu's page hit numbers on distrowatch.

I'm not using Debian right now but I use Buster repositories on antiX, and it's hard to beat the speed and versatility and stability and humongous software collection.

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post
            Why is Ubuntu ranking so much lower on these and previous benchmarks? Would Ubuntu win, on the other hand, in things like interactive responsiveness?
            Let me resume it like this:

Clear Linux: optimized.
            Ubuntu: bloated.
            Debian: unbloated.
            Windows: optmized but bloated.

Last edited by Danielsan; 10 October 2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              Debian: unbloated.
              Does debian work on optimizations as well? Or is it more up to the user?

Comment

I think you should reverse the rankings for the "lower is better" plots. That way the best performers would always be at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaura View Post

Does debian work on optimizations as well? Or is it more up to the user?
                  Debian doesn't optimize, it is mostly vanilla but it is not burden by useless services like Ubuntu...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    That's why MX has more than triple Ubuntu's page hit numbers on distrowatch.
                    No that's because the rankings on distrowatch have been skewed for the last few years by bots.

Comment

Working...
                    X