Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAMMER2 File-System Performance On DragonFlyBSD 5.4.1

Phoronix: HAMMER2 File-System Performance On DragonFlyBSD 5.4.1

With the newly released DragonFlyBSD 5.4.1 having a lot of HAMMER2 file-system work on top of all of the changes introduced by DragonFlyBSD 5.4 at the start of December, here is a fresh look at the HAMMER versus HAMMER2 file-system performance on this BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks, I did not realize that performance differences between H1 and H2 are that big.

Comment

Is HAMMER2 better than ZFS, Btrfs and bcachefs?
      Maybe someone should port HAMMER2 to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I was just wondering about this myself. who knows, it might be even better if it makes good use of the linux kernel features.

Comment

HAMMER2 still assuming that fsync ops are bs and everybody is better off without?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            HAMMER2 still assuming that fsync ops are bs and everybody is better off without?
            Who needs fsync? If you want data stored reliably you would have written it down.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              It's no easy feat to port H1 over to FreeBSD even.. Which happens to be DragonFly's parent. I assume it's far more complicated to attempt it on Linux.
              Have fun reading:

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

It's no easy feat to port H1 over to FreeBSD even.. Which happens to be DragonFly's parent. I assume it's far more complicated to attempt it on Linux.
                Have fun reading:
                https://wiki.freebsd.org/PortingHAMMERFS
                Still doesn't answer whether or not HAMMER2 is better than ZFS and the like.

Comment

Even if very difficult, porting Hammer to other systems could be nice... As we'd finally have a shared filesystem between systems with a license completely compatible between all of these systems...

The BSDs don't want a GPL filesystem for reasons I can understand (this isn't my own commentary on licensing here at all), the CDDL isn't compatible with the GPL (supposedly by design), etc.

All things considered, seems to be in pretty good shape considering its feature set and the fact it has a fraction of the man power of btrfs/ZFS...

Looking forward to seeing the comparisons to ZFS!

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    The BSDs don't want a GPL filesystem for reasons I can understand (this isn't my own commentary on licensing here at all), the CDDL isn't compatible with the GPL (supposedly by design), etc.
                    Looking forward to seeing the comparisons to ZFS!
                    FreeBSD and OpenBSD are avoiding GPL. DragonFly and NetBSD are not. Both of the latter are for example using GCC for system compiler. They all have their own iterations of Berkeley's Fast FileSystem, so no real need for file systems from Linux - which are strongly tied to Linux kernel-specific mechanisms anyway.

Try it out. Most of the people have strong preconceptions and sneeringly consider DragonFly little more than toy. I doubt you will wind any comparisons.
                    Last edited by aht0; 02 January 2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X