Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA & AMD Linux Gaming Performance For Total War: Warhammer II At 1080p / 1440p / 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA & AMD Linux Gaming Performance For Total War: Warhammer II At 1080p / 1440p / 4K

Phoronix: NVIDIA & AMD Linux Gaming Performance For Total War: Warhammer II At 1080p / 1440p / 4K

Now with having more time to test this week's release of Total War: Warhammer II on Linux, here is a large 14-way graphics card comparison of various AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce GPUs. With more time plus an updated version of the pts/tww2 test profile to address a resolution scaling issue, tests are done at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K resolutions as well as providing performance-per-dollar metrics for this latest Vulkan-powered high profile Linux game port.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is indeed Vega 64 for $399

Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card 21275-03-20G with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Thanks Michael!

Would have liked to see more AMD graphics cards tested, there were only 4 vs 11 for Nvidia.

Loads of us on GCN 1.1 or even 1.0 do force the amdgpu kernel driver and use Vulkan on Linux. My R9 290 has been working fine on all the Vulkan titles I have tried even though AMD only officially supports it on windows.

Comment

Yeah, GCN 1.1 cards like R9 390X would probably eat these down there

So, it is time to drop support for these on Windows also
        Last edited by dungeon; 23 November 2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          Thanks Michael!

Would have liked to see more AMD graphics cards tested, there were only 4 vs 11 for Nvidia.

Loads of us on GCN 1.1 or even 1.0 do force the amdgpu kernel driver and use Vulkan on Linux. My R9 290 has been working fine on all the Vulkan titles I have tried even though AMD only officially supports it on windows.
          A few more GCN 10/11 cards will come in next day or two, but I don't have as many AMD GPUs as NVIDIA, plus many of the AMD cards just being rebranded.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

A few times, more than double the number of FPS for nVidia cards compared to the best of AMD. Such huge differences , wondering why.
            Last edited by onicsis; 23 November 2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
              A few times, more than double the number of FPS for nVidia cards compared to the best of AMD. Such huge differences , wondering why.
              Double more perf for triple more price . Huge chips plus huge tricks is primary reason Huge chips are kind of exclusive and costs $$.

Shave up huge nV chips plus Ti chips and they are the same

If i could predict future i would guess that Navi will reach RTX 2070 (since that is normal chip) and that is it
              Last edited by dungeon; 23 November 2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                I just grabbed that exact card this morning from NewEgg to succeed my R9 390.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                  AMD's Linux Vulkan drivers are slower than their windows drivers. At least on windows vulkan you would always see Vega 64 beating the gtx 1080, even if the 1080ti / 2080 / 2080ti are out of reach. Hopefully as AMD improves their open shader compiler things will get better in the next few months on Linux Vulkan

Next hope for a true AMD flagship discrete GPU would be high end Navi. But it will not come until end 2019 or 2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X