Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootlin Starts Work On Allwinner H.265 Decoding

Phoronix: Bootlin Starts Work On Allwinner H.265 Decoding

Following the success of their work on open-source video decode for MPEG/H.264 following their crowd-funding campaign, Bootlin has now taken to working on H.265 video decode for the Sunxi-Cedrus open-source effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a little sad that Allwinner isn't doing this. I mean, today you need crowdfunding campaigns for 3rd party enterprises that will reverse engineer things and write a working driver for a HW. And even a HW class that is hardly used with anything else than Linux.
    The HW manufacturers should be responsible, especially if they're still selling that stuff, or if it is still widespread.

Please correct me if some HW company is funding this development.

PS: Maybe, in the first place, one shouldn't buy from FOSS-hostile companies (and GPL violators) like Allwinner!
    Last edited by Adarion; 28 July 2018, 04:32 PM.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Isn't orange pi supporting this?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Please correct me if some HW company is funding this development.
        Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Isn't orange pi supporting this?
        Most, if not all, backers which gave 1024 EUR or more, are companies which produce SBCs with AW SoCs. I know that OrangePi, Pine64 and Olimex donated among other companies.

PS: Maybe, in the first place, one shouldn't buy from FOSS-hostile companies (and GPL violators) like Allwinner!
        AW improved itself a lot over the years. It tries to be GPL compliant for latest code drops and it also fixed GPL issues upon community request. It also released some HW docs to linux-sunxi wiki on request by developers.

Comment

Originally posted by jernej View Post
          Most, if not all, backers which gave 1024 EUR or more, are companies which produce SBCs with AW SoCs. I know that OrangePi, Pine64 and Olimex donated among other companies.
          Ah, thanks! That makes sense. Yes, I was already wondering who'd spend easily that much for a T-Shirt and a drink at a conference.

AW improved itself a lot over the years. It tries to be GPL compliant for latest code drops and it also fixed GPL issues upon community request. It also released some HW docs to linux-sunxi wiki on request by developers.
          Well, good to read they're improving. But so we once had VIA and we had hope for ImgTec. stuff - but it hasn't fulfilled (yet).

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It's a little sad that Allwinner isn't doing this. I mean, today you need crowdfunding campaigns for 3rd party enterprises that will reverse engineer things and write a working driver for a HW.
            On the contrary, this is amazing showcase of the power of opensource. Interested parties join forces to do what others don't do because they don't profit from it.

The overwhelming majority of Allwinner customers (which are companies) don't need opensource, they need cheap HW with a simple SDK to easily create their cheap lousy embedded hardware, you can't blame Allwinner if they don't invest in a proper opensource driver for their most crucial component (media acceleration).

Comment

Working...
            X