Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Announces The Core i7 8086K That Tops Out At 5.0GHz; 28-Core Chip Coming This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces The Core i7 8086K That Tops Out At 5.0GHz; 28-Core Chip Coming This Year

Phoronix: Intel Announces The Core i7 8086K That Tops Out At 5.0GHz; 28-Core Chip Coming This Year

Following weeks of rumors, today at Computex Taipei 2018 Intel officially announced the limited edition Core i7 8086K that commemorates the 40th anniversary of Intel's x86 architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Yep, the first 5.0GHz desktop processor"

Nope, the second, first was fx 9590

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      ...The Intel Core i7 8086K is a six-core part plus Hyper Threading and has a 4.0GHz base frequency with 5.0GHz turbo frequency. Yep, the first 5.0GHz desktop processor!...
      Nope!

First 5GHz desktop processor was AMD FX 9590 (4,7GHz base - 5,0GHz boost) released in June 2013

Comment

Sounds good but prepare to get a second mortgage, sell a kidney and auction off the kids to pay for one. Intel sure know how to fleece folk!

Comment

Hit spectre faster?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            "Yep, the first 5.0GHz desktop processor"

Nope, the second, first was fx 9590
            beat me to it, it *is* however the first that can hit 5ghz with a reasonable TDP

Comment

This sweepstakes is only available for residents of USA, Canada (excluding Quebec), UK, France, Germany, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and China (excluding Hong Kong).
              No sweepstakes entry for me then... However I guess I'd probably just flog it off or give it away if I actually won one seeing how I built a new Ryzen machine only last year and don't really have an actual need for one.

Comment

They should have clocked it to 4.77GHz. That would make it 1000 times faster than my PC XT.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                  They should have clocked it to 4.77GHz. That would make it 1000 times faster than my PC XT.
                  Nevermind, the 8086 was originally 5MHz, so they did this correctly.
                  Last edited by NateHubbard; 05 June 2018, 07:46 AM. Reason: And I still confused them.

Comment

Originally posted by Krteq View Post
                    First 5GHz desktop processor was AMD FX 9590
                    AMD just wanted to brag about hitting 5 GHz and charge ridiculous amounts of money for it. I can't believe that some people actually bought this thing.

5 GHz on Coffee Lake isn't that special and most decent overclocks seem to hit that on all cores anyway. Intel just want to celebrate their birthday (and charge ridicoulous amounts of money for a not-really-new CPU while they're at it).

Comment

Working...
                    X