X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Sure it is but I understand the emotional flamewars to some extend. There are a handful of people who got proficient to some degree and can show years of experience. They manage to do really great things with their tools.
    Then some newcomer hipster comes (often without in-depth knowledge of anything with the need to distinguish himself) and tells them it is all unnecessary deprecated and bad ...
    You think graydon hoare is a hipster? I suppose chris lattner is just a damn hippy!

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    It's still irritating. Rust was the first language that made me feel comfortable working in something that compiles to native code and I do want to shout it from the rooftops, but I have the tact and perspective to know why that's a bad idea.

I get the impression all of these people have never actually coded anything more significant than a lab project in some high-school programming course. (Even with the projects where I do plan to rewrite from Python to Rust for reasonable gains in reduced maintenance burden and even for the ones which are tiny little utilities, it's not as if I'm going to find time immediately and the new version won't match the old one overnight. The fact that you can link Rust modules into C programs isn't magic pixie dust.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 25 March 2017, 08:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by mr_tawan View Post
    *sigh* ...

Languages are tools, not religions.
    Sure it is but I understand the emotional flamewars to some extend. There are a handful of people who got proficient to some degree and can show years of experience. They manage to do really great things with their tools.
    Then some newcomer hipster comes (often without in-depth knowledge of anything with the need to distinguish himself) and tells them it is all unnecessary deprecated and bad ...

Leave a comment:

• agaman
    replied
    Originally posted by mr_tawan View Post
    *sigh* ...

Seems that's not true for Rust...

Is it really necessary in every post about any language to have the Rust lovers ranting about any non-Rust languaje?

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    I see the 2D graphics proposal continues to make progress. (Spot the mentions of Cairo hidden away...)

Leave a comment:

• mr_tawan
    replied
    *sigh* ...

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Looks like you just ruled out both C and C++, because they fail to meet your standard here too.
    standard is to break only code which deserves to be broken. not to expect constant rewrites from your alphatesters

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Come back here once Rust has a 20 year history with explicit milestones where breaking backward compatibility is not allowed...
    Looks like you just ruled out both C and C++, because they fail to meet your standard here too.

Leave a comment:

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by wargames View Post
    Keep patching and patching the beast instead of using a sane language such as Rust.
    Come back here once Rust has a 20 year history with explicit milestones where breaking backward compatibility is not allowed...

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by wargames View Post
    Keep patching and patching the beast instead of using a sane language such as Rust.
    imbecile, rust is patching itself every six weeks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X