Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clavko
    replied
    There are a lot of attributes one may use to describe a software product used by crowd from MySQL customer list... "Terrible" wouldn't be my first choice

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    MySQL used to be infamous for how terrible it was.
    How is MySQL these days, is it still terrible or is it a solid database these days?
    MySQL and MariaDB are pretty solid for your average use-case. I use it with some web applications which are not exactly small anymore and the performance is reasonable. I tried PostgreSQL as an alternative on a few and the differences in performance were hardly noticable (IAW: code execution time was much more an issue than the raw database speed). As always: YMMV.

Is JSON in relational databases truly useful or just a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a post-SQL / NoSQL world?
    JSON with MySQL is just a data type. On MySQL it does some validation checks and provides some functions to extract and modify data from these JSON strings. MariaDB does not support a JSON data type yet (but comes with a few JSON functions). It IS useful even in relational databases, since JSON has become the prime data exchange format for web applications (I use JSON/varchar columns for storing additional log data).

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    How is MySQL these days, is it still terrible or is it a solid database these days?

Is JSON in relational databases truly useful or just a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a post-SQL / NoSQL world?
    That infamousy often came from either fanbois of other SQL servers and/or from people using the MyISAM storage engine.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MySQL 8.0 Released With Many Improvements, Faster Performance

Phoronix: MySQL 8.0 Released With Many Improvements, Faster Performance

It's a busy day in the software and hardware space today as well as a busy week for Oracle with several big releases this week. The latest is the general availability of the long-awaited MySQL 8.0 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X