X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by akincer View Post
    There's two main communities in the Linux world -- end users and developers -- and, while there is some overlap obviously, end users is who Canonical is going after and THOSE folks, by and large, don't see Canonical as some kind of community alienator. Sure, some do, but I don't really see any evidence that a sizeable portion do.
    Well the thing is, this kind of phone (the specs, price, etc) is clearly aimed at enthusiasts and developers, not the typical end-user. Because Canonical has alienated a sizeable part of the community with their shenanigans, they have limited their potential market - the end-users may not care, but the market Canonical is aiming at with this phone does. And that's why this crowdfunding is going to fail.

Leave a comment:

• akincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    I dont get it first they try to alienate community now they want community to fund their projects. What in devils name is going on in Canonical?
    There's two main communities in the Linux world -- end users and developers -- and, while there is some overlap obviously, end users is who Canonical is going after and THOSE folks, by and large, don't see Canonical as some kind of community alienator. Sure, some do, but I don't really see any evidence that a sizeable portion do.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxGamer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    I dont get it first they try to alienate community now they want community to fund their projects. What in devils name is going on in Canonical?
    This worked out well for Windows 8 too thats why we have Steam for Linux

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    With a goal around 10-15mil they could/might have made it. With a 32mill target forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    Mark already said he wasn't going to put any of his/Canonical money to fill the gap, so most likely this isn't going to happen.
    Because Mark has never lied before.

I mean, changed his mind. Not lied, changed his mind.

Leave a comment:

• Ramiliez
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    What makes you say that its purpose is to make FLOSS stagnate?
    When FOSS fans expend their money on Ubuntu Edge what will be left for other much more open projects?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    forget that i want a Debian Phone running a X86 intel chip
    More x86 phones are probably on the way.
    Intel is making their new Atom processor on the Silvermont architecture.

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
    I just can't say clear enough how hard I want this stupid initiative from Canonical to fail. It has one, and only one, purpose, to stagnate FLOSS.
    What makes you say that its purpose is to make FLOSS stagnate?

Leave a comment:

• CrvenaZvezda
    replied
    I just can't say clear enough how hard I want this stupid initiative from Canonical to fail. It has one, and only one, purpose, to stagnate FLOSS.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxGamer
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I hope phone manufacturers are watching and hearing about Ubuntu Edge.

So even if it fails, the other companies listen to the demands.

I hope phone manufacturers maybe consider a phone with Ubuntu, or dual-boot phone with Android and Ubuntu, or Android and Chrome OS. I hope manufacturers make so you can dock the phone to the computer and use keyboard, mouse, and external display.

Imagine Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse with wireless Wi-Di/WHDI/Miracast display.
    Or a docking station to plug-in USB keyboard and USB mouse and HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort monitor.
    forget that i want a Debian Phone running a X86 intel chip

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Manufacturers

I hope phone manufacturers are watching and hearing about Ubuntu Edge.

So even if it fails, the other companies listen to the demands.

I hope phone manufacturers maybe consider a phone with Ubuntu, or dual-boot phone with Android and Ubuntu, or Android and Chrome OS. I hope manufacturers make so you can dock the phone to the computer and use keyboard, mouse, and external display.

Imagine Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse with wireless Wi-Di/WHDI/Miracast display.
    Or a docking station to plug-in USB keyboard and USB mouse and HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort monitor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X