X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boast
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
    Apple just doesn't have to optimize OSX for random hardware like Windows and Linux do.
    what does this mean technically? what hardware info would linux need access to, and what specific part of linux would need to be optimized like OSX is?

Leave a comment:

• hisbug
    replied
    EFI or BIOS?

Michael,
    Did you boot Linux in EFI mode or in BIOS compatibility mode? I find this makes a pretty big difference on my MBP.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
    It's a very good point. So long as there isn't a hardware issue, a reasonably knowledgeable user can optimize their Linux machine enough to get good savings.
    And people wonder why Linux isn't popular on any desktop not owned or supported by an uber-nerd.

Windows can also get good power efficiency. While Windows 7 gets less battery life than OSX on a 2010 MBP, it does much better than Fedora 17 (OSX gets 7 vs Win7 getting 5 vs Fedora getting 3.5 -- and note that Win7 does not get Optimus on that setting due to the Apple-imposed Bootcamp restrictions, hence why Windows can get 7 hours on equivalent non-MBP hardware while Linux still gets ~3.5). So much for the "Apple can specialize" theory. Linux just sucks at power management, apparently. :/

Hopefully someone in kernel-land is listening and will eventually fix things up. At least getting dma-buf/prime support fully landed should help a good deal for dual-GPU laptops.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Didn't OS X 10.8 have some kind of power regression? Or was that just a battery charging / discharging problem?

Leave a comment:

• ArtKun
    replied
    It'd be nice to see F17's results in the same laptop.

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
    Not surprised. Apple can optimize thier software for their tightly controlled hardware. You can actually optimize Ubuntu for a decent gain in efficiency. With a basic script, I can get my ProBook down to 10W or so at idle, with 4-5 hours of battery. Interestingly, I can also get OSX on it, and it can only do 3 hours. Apple just doesn't have to optimize OSX for random hardware like Windows and Linux do.
    It's a very good point. So long as there isn't a hardware issue, a reasonably knowledgeable user can optimize their Linux machine enough to get good savings.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeyPaw
    replied
    Not surprised. Apple can optimize thier software for their tightly controlled hardware. You can actually optimize Ubuntu for a decent gain in efficiency. With a basic script, I can get my ProBook down to 10W or so at idle, with 4-5 hours of battery. Interestingly, I can also get OSX on it, and it can only do 3 hours. Apple just doesn't have to optimize OSX for random hardware like Windows and Linux do.

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Slap Arch with Core i optimized linux-ck Kernel and Awesome WM on that thing.
    That and the whole she-bang of cpu-freq etc set up and blob graphics drivers (if applicable) and I'd be surprised if it used much more than the Apple OS.

My AMD Fusion Netbook running Arch and the Catalyst driver seems to have the same or even better power usage than the Windows 7 starter it came with, but I have no figures to back that up. Lasts as long as advertised on battery still though.

EDIT: Though I should mention, the lack of being able to suspend is a bit of a downer LOL
    Last edited by ElderSnake; 23 August 2012, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I intend to try the Fedora 17 tonight or tomorrow.
    That's cool man. To add to this there has been some nutty power/heat/load issues in some of the kernels lately https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29850 Ubuntu users also were hit with this.

With that aside, I have no idea why Linux power usage is becoming so gluttonous lately but I have witnessed it as well. Poor show on power savings. My HDMI audio had to be manually disabled as it was continuously active without a cable insert.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Slap Arch with Core i optimized linux-ck Kernel and Awesome WM on that thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X