HP Dev One - A Great, Well Engineered AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Haha, just a "little" cost of using a sh*tty proprietary driver. And you probably don't read Phoronix as you think you can't run Linux on M1 or that the GPU driver is not in progress. PS: I talk also about AMD and Intel - it's you who talks about Nvidia as a superior Linux solution.
    NVidia si a superior Linux solution compared to Apple. You think that its proprietary driver is a dealbreaker? Well yes, compared to Intel and AMD. Compared to Apple that doesn't have a working GPU driver at all.. - oh wait, it's "in progress", is it?. Let me know when it's 100% working out of the box, with full power management, full OpenGL and Vulkan support and performance equal to that on MacOS. Yeah at the moment you can perhaps boot Linux on the M1 and use it in text mode, without networking, bluetooth, virtualisation or any necessary feature. And that's supposed to be a good option for Linux? Let me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

NVidia si a superior Linux solution compared to Apple. You think that its proprietary driver is a dealbreaker? Well yes, compared to Intel and AMD. Compared to Apple that doesn't have a working GPU driver at all.. - oh wait, it's "in progress", is it?. Let me know when it's 100% working out of the box, with full power management, full OpenGL and Vulkan support and performance equal to that on MacOS. Yeah at the moment you can perhaps boot Linux on the M1 and use it in text mode, without networking, bluetooth, virtualisation or any necessary feature. And that's supposed to be a good option for Linux? Let me laugh.
      Apple si a superior Linux solution compared to NVidia. That proprietary driver is a dealbreaker. You really are not in picture, when you think linux on M1 is in a text mode and without networking.

Comment

Apple si a superior Linux solution compared to NVidia. That proprietary driver is a dealbreaker. You really are not in picture, when you think linux on M1 is in a text mode and without networking.
        Ok so I can now install say a Fedora or Ubuntu on a M1 *TODAY*, use Gnome + Wayland at full performance, with suspend & resume working, 100% WiFi support, 100% Bluetooth, with sane battery autonomy etc.? Somehow no-one in the world has noticed

PS: you really seem fixated on NVidia. There are actually good Linux options out there, called Intel and AMD.

Comment

Ok so I can now install say a Fedora or Ubuntu on a M1 *TODAY*, use Gnome + Wayland at full performance, with suspend & resume working, 100% WiFi support, 100% Bluetooth, with sane battery autonomy etc.? Somehow no-one in the world has noticed

PS: you really seem fixated on NVidia. There are actually good Linux options out there, called Intel and AMD.
          You answered yourself.

Comment

You answered yourself.
            Right so remind me what exactly your point was? We are discussing a laptop based on AMD, so Nvidia is not even in the picture. Somehow you pretend that Apple is a better choice.

Comment

I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I did a ctrl+f on all 8 pages and found that nobody seemed to mention ECC memory support...

So yeah, it would have been nice to see if ECC memory worked or not since the Pro-SKU APUs are supposed to have that enabled in AGESA unlike for non-Pro-SKU APUs (at which point it would hinge on whether the motherboard itself includes the necessary additional traces for ECC or not).

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
                Actually I don't do much upscaling. Instead I end up with more usable screen real estate. Being a programmer, it's an advantage being able to fit more on your screen.
                I agree completely. After having a 4k 17" laptop, I'll never go back. With interfaces and websites designed to fit 1080p windows, I can put once in each corner, and the resolution is high enough that the font holes don't collapse. I run without scaling. It's been a game changer for me: I feel zero need to use an additional monitor doing development.

I haven't tried 4k in 15". I think that would be a little below my personal sweet spot, but still usable without scaling.

Comment

I got to say, the specs, the build and the performance of this laptop look very solid. Especially for such low price of $1100. I'd definitely get this laptop, if I didn't have Thinkpad T14 Gen2 with AMD Ryzen 7 5850U already. I paid about $250 more for my Thinkpad (when it was on a 40% sale) with roughly the same configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Absolutely incorrect.

A "Dev Laptop" properly is a class of enterprise grade hardware more commonly known as a Mobile Workstation handed out by businesses to developers. It's not whatever random computer you want to develop on for your personal enjoyment. By definition they are high spec machines relative to the current hardware ecosystem using enterprise grade hardware. They need docking station capability which lives it's life in your cube, hooked up to 2-3 monitors and other peripherals, but is also expected to have a decent built-in keyboard and a large (historically replaceable) battery for on the go. This combination of requirements means they are absolute bricks.

What HP and Dell are trying to do is take barebones basic tier enterprise-grade ultrabooks that businesses hand off to HR, middle managers, and the like and passing that off to consumers as something it's not.
                    Just more BS and the reason why software are so bad.
                    They use those monster machines and then the rest of the world have to follow suit in order to be able to run that crap ...

Comment

How is it not useless compared no NVidia? With NVidia you can run a full fledged Linux system, at the cost of relying on a proprietary driver with many issues. With Apple at the moment you can't run Linux at all. When it comes to raw performance, AMD dGPUs still leave M1 in dust.

PS: the fact that you keep bringing up NVidia only shows what a strawman you are trying to build. No-one sane would pick NVidia for an all-Linux machine. Yet, NVidia still works, with caveats. That still makes it an infinitely superior Linux solution compared to Apple that doesn't work at all.
                      A "DEV" machine is something that doesn't need a fancy 3D card.
                      If you want to play games or do rendering, then you need a "multimedia laptop", not a DEV laptop ...So, basically any laptop with a NVidia GPU is not a DEV laptop.
                      The Dell XPS 15 would have been perfect for me if it did not have a NVidia card.
                      It only waste power, generate heat and complicate drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X