HP Dev One - A Great, Well Engineered AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Whether it's an unix OS is totally irrelevant. It's the most proprietary, closed and locked down OS on the market. Windows is open source in comparison.
    Haha, no. E.g. Windows 11 requires the MS Account for the Home version and Microsoft announced it will require it also for Professional in the next release. Also requiring Secure Boot, TPM etc.
    Last edited by Ladis; 13 June 2022, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Is the specification good? yea!

But the power button on the keyboard is really bad.

If the keyboard dies because of wtf, you can't turn it on and temporarily use it with a USB keyboard.

The best way is to buy a model where the power button is disconnected from the keyboard.

Unfortunately, nowadays few models have the separate power button.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Haha, no. E.g. Windows 11 requires the MS Account for the Home version and Microsoft announced it will require it also for Professional in the next release. Also requiring Secure Boot, TPM etc.
        And Apple doesn't, right? Oh wait.

BTW Windows 11 works perfectly well without TPM and secure boot, you need to bypass the check during installation (there is a trick for that). I'm not defending Windows, as far as I'm concerned non open source = not an option as far as OSes go. But I will sooner trust 2022's Microsoft than Apple. Plus, you can buy a Windows machine, wipe it out and install Linux with full first class hardware support today, unlike Apple. It will also probably be competitive in terms of performance/cost, which Apple isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Please. Any laptop is a "dev laptop" if it's used for development. Everything else is just marketing BS and you're falling for it. A "dev laptop" merely needs to meet the needs of the person using it, it can have 4 GB of RAM and still be workable if that's all the person needs.
          Absolutely incorrect.

A "Dev Laptop" properly is a class of enterprise grade hardware more commonly known as a Mobile Workstation handed out by businesses to developers. It's not whatever random computer you want to develop on for your personal enjoyment. By definition they are high spec machines relative to the current hardware ecosystem using enterprise grade hardware. They need docking station capability which lives it's life in your cube, hooked up to 2-3 monitors and other peripherals, but is also expected to have a decent built-in keyboard and a large (historically replaceable) battery for on the go. This combination of requirements means they are absolute bricks.

What HP and Dell are trying to do is take barebones basic tier enterprise-grade ultrabooks that businesses hand off to HR, middle managers, and the like and passing that off to consumers as something it's not.
          Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 13 June 2022, 07:06 PM.

Comment

And Apple doesn't, right? Oh wait.

BTW Windows 11 works perfectly well without TPM and secure boot, you need to bypass the check during installation (there is a trick for that). I'm not defending Windows, as far as I'm concerned non open source = not an option as far as OSes go. But I will sooner trust 2022's Microsoft than Apple. Plus, you can buy a Windows machine, wipe it out and install Linux with full first class hardware support today, unlike Apple. It will also probably be competitive in terms of performance/cost, which Apple isn't.
            I know I can install Windows 11 on an unsupported hardware, but MS says it may stop receiving updates in the future. And what do you mean by full first class hardware support? If you have NVidia, you will sooner have better support on M1. Because Apple doesn't block you from writing a driver with full features.

Comment

I know I can install Windows 11 on an unsupported hardware, but MS says it may stop receiving updates in the future. And what do you mean by full first class hardware support? If you have NVidia, you will sooner have better support on M1. Because Apple doesn't block you from writing a driver with full features.
              If your intention is to run Linux on a laptop, obviously you wouldn't get one with a NVidia GPU. Radeon and Intel graphics have the full first class support right now. My point is that if you want to use Linux then any Apple product is utterly and totally useless.

Comment

If your intention is to run Linux on a laptop, obviously you wouldn't get one with a NVidia GPU. Radeon and Intel graphics have the full first class support right now. My point is that if you want to use Linux then any Apple product is utterly and totally useless.
                Not useless compared to NVidia. Also not useless as trying to run computations on AMD GPU or getting performance on Intel GPU.

Comment

Nah..

- Quite pricey..
                  - RTL8822CE WiFi card which you probably can´t replace as the BIOS has a whitelist of accepted PCIe Device IDs (at least that´s how it is on all newer HP Laptop i have seen)
                  - Has no WiFi 6
                  - Barrel jack charging adapter, no USB-C PD / PPS Charging??
                  - Display is Glossy

HP has better hardware for the same price, like the ZBook Firefly 15 G8.. If they made that one with an AMD-Processor that would be cool.

I still love my Zen 2 based Acer Aspire 5, replaced the WiFi Card with an Intel AX210 for 20€, works like a charm. Battery life is a whole day and the touchpad, keyboard and display are nothing special but they work great. Costs 1/3rd of the money, i paid 550€ for it. 16 Gig Ram and 8-Core/16-Threads as well..
                  The Realtek Card it had before was hell, you couldn´t use 2,4GHz WiFi + Bluetooth together and the connection to 5GHz keeps dropping / the card resetting.. The official driver has a Windows Service which resets the hardware card when it locks up..
                  The Bluetooth stack was partly working... No one needs something like that..
                  Last edited by Spacefish; 13 June 2022, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Not useless compared to NVidia. Also not useless as trying to run computations on AMD GPU or getting performance on Intel GPU.
                    How is it not useless compared no NVidia? With NVidia you can run a full fledged Linux system, at the cost of relying on a proprietary driver with many issues. With Apple at the moment you can't run Linux at all. When it comes to raw performance, AMD dGPUs still leave M1 in dust.

PS: the fact that you keep bringing up NVidia only shows what a strawman you are trying to build. No-one sane would pick NVidia for an all-Linux machine. Yet, NVidia still works, with caveats. That still makes it an infinitely superior Linux solution compared to Apple that doesn't work at all.
                    Last edited by jacob; 13 June 2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

How is it not useless compared no NVidia? With NVidia you can run a full fledged Linux system, at the cost of relying on a proprietary driver with many issues. With Apple at the moment you can't run Linux at all. When it comes to raw performance, AMD dGPUs still leave M1 in dust.

PS: the fact that you keep bringing up NVidia only shows what a strawman you are trying to build. No-one sane would pick NVidia for an all-Linux machine. Yet, NVidia still works, with caveats. That still makes it an infinitely superior Linux solution compared to Apple that doesn't work at all.
                      Haha, just a "little" cost of using a sh*tty proprietary driver. And you probably don't read Phoronix as you think you can't run Linux on M1 or that the GPU driver is not in progress. PS: I talk also about AMD and Intel - it's you who talks about Nvidia as a superior Linux solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X