Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    Hope they start looking at Ryzen apu's for the 5000 launch. Clevo seems to be a year behind on the AMD side. They'll need a better vendor.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    I must be missing something, why would anyone need 128GB of ram, in dual channel mode, coupled with a 10C/20T processor? Such a configuration would be nearly 13GB of ram per physical core or 6.4GB of ram per virtual core; I can't think of any application that needs that much ram per core and even if there was such an application it's nearly a certainty that it would benefit for from additional bandwidth than capacity.

To me this is the equivalent of shoehorning a bored out 454 big block into a VW Beetle.
    Well, GTA V is somewhere around 100GB so you'd need at least that + 16GB of ram to run it from a ram disk. 128GB is just enough so you can do that and run Firefox with a bunch of tabs open.

Most people would do something like 9VMs with ~12GB memory per VM and the rest held over for host use, but me, I'd do some dumbass shit like running my games from ram.

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied
    Sounds like there might also be a market for a Ryzen 3rd (or upcoming 4th) gen CPU + an RDNA2 mobile GPU then?

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    This class of laptops it is more suited for running expensive+proprietary Windows software, not for open source applications and OSes .

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Is there an AMD option?...
    Is this finally a custom laptop, or just another Clevo-based thing?

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    I must be missing something, why would anyone need 128GB of ram, in dual channel mode, coupled with a 10C/20T processor? Such a configuration would be nearly 13GB of ram per physical core or 6.4GB of ram per virtual core; I can't think of any application that needs that much ram per core and even if there was such an application it's nearly a certainty that it would benefit for from additional bandwidth than capacity.
    Virtualization, for one. There are use cases for this.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied

To me this is the equivalent of shoehorning a bored out 454 big block into a VW Beetle.
    Go big or go home

There are many applications for that amount of RAM. The challenge that I see is clocking of those modules. It must be difficult to find the sweet spot of the memory controller.

Leave a comment:

• OneTimeShot
    replied
    Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Why would we need anywhere close to 1+ TB standard?
    I don't know why I need it. I just know that I want it...

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chris200x9
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Hmm... quantity of RAM hasn’t been following Moore’s law for a while. Good to see 128Gb, but I’m pretty sure that 1Gb was standard 20 years ago. We should be in the Tb by now.
    Why would we need anywhere close to 1+ TB standard?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X