Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Provides Good Out-Of-The-Box Support For The Dell XPS 7390 Icelake Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tjaalton
    replied
    Sounds like you didn't try thunderbolt? Support for it has been backported from 5.4, so unless there are bugs with this setup it should work.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Can you test how well the Thunderbolt support works on kernel 5.4? I think the devs would appreciate some feedback and if you find issues it's not too late to open a bug report either.

Leave a comment:

• yurikoles
    replied
    Michael
    Arch Wiki link is broken, it's missing `)` at the end.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Looking forward to this series of articles.

Leave a comment:

• GraceAsylum
    replied
    I would like to see how the GPU compares to a Iris plus 655. Most of the comparisons from Intel are from weaker GPUs.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Michael

Please run benchmarks which take at least five minutes to complete, e.g. video (re)encoding or heavy 3d scenes rendering. And if you have any Whiskey Lake/Ryzen mobile parts around, it would be nice to see them compared as well. While running these tests it would be great if you monitored/logged CPU temperatures/frequencies and power consumption, e.g. using turbostat.

I'm asking all of this because there are a lot of questions about Intel's 10nm node and how it really fares against their tried and tested 14nm node.
    Yep will ultimately have lots of thermal and power data.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Details on the performance?
    That's all coming in future articles, still running tons of tests, only had it for a few days but basically an article saying the laptop is working well basically on Ubuntu 19.10.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Michael

Please run benchmarks which take at least five minutes to complete, e.g. video (re)encoding or heavy 3d scenes rendering. And if you have any Whiskey Lake/Ryzen mobile parts around, it would be nice to see them compared as well. While running these tests it would be great if you monitored/logged CPU temperatures/frequencies and power consumption, e.g. using turbostat.

I'm asking all of this because there are a lot of questions about Intel's 10nm node and how it really fares against their tried and tested 14nm node.

Leave a comment:

• tajjada
    replied
    YESSS!! Just as I was considering buying this exact laptop, this article comes out! This is awesome! Looking forward to all your reportings about it!

Leave a comment:

• darinmiller
    replied
    So does installing the linux 5.4 kernel from the Ubuntu repo's (https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...line/v5.4-rc2/) fix the thunderbolt issue?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X