X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onicsis
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Who gives a fuck if it's in the US or in Antartica if the product is fucking good.
    I would'n say, the original price is doubling imported in EU, but.
    ++ Usualy No Warrany, warranty available in US is practically useless. Better a Dell or HP.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
    System76 sells GNU/Linux systems. Linux is just a kernel.
    those systems don't have firefox or firefox is gnu? what about x11? libreoffice?

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Who gives a fuck if it's in the US or in Antartica if the product is fucking good.

Linux has too much competition to afford being hindered by such trivial petty bullshit.

A friend of Linux is a friend of mine.
    Everyone should support fair labor wages, decent environmental regulations, etc. So, yes, it matters a lot where something is produced. It doesn't have to be the US, but the US is far better than China or India.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Heh, I'd be a great entrepreneur too if I got just a little 1M dollar loan at flat rate from my parents...
    And it's said that first million is the hardest. Are your parents interested in divesting and loaning me $1 mill for a non-tech related idea I am kicking around?

Leave a comment:

• phrix
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I really hope so. I've been waiting for a decently-designed AMD laptop from ages.
    Look at Asus GL702ZC, it has a desktop CPU (Ryzen 1700) and GPU (RX580) inside a laptop chassis, max 32GB RAM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Apple already does that, and it seems to work pretty well...
    Heh, I'd be a great entrepreneur too if I got just a little 1M dollar loan at flat rate from my parents...

Leave a comment:

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
    Do they have plan to sell risc v or arm products ?
    No and they likely never will. The cost of doing ARM in a way to make it something more than a throw-away device is way too high, which is why nobody really does usable ARM devices well, outside of high-end dev boards.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
    Hopefully the cost for these linux systems are equal to, or less than, Windows OEM builds of comparable specs; they probably won't carve out much market share for themselves if they aren't. I mean, I guess if they had a massive advertising budget and could control the minds of the admittedly many impressionable consumers in the US it'd still be possible.
    Apple already does that, and it seems to work pretty well...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You mean they're gonna actually manufacture something and not just resell Clevo notebooks?

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
    Hopefully the cost for these linux systems are equal to, or less than, Windows OEM builds of comparable specs; they probably won't carve out much market share for themselves if they aren't. I mean, I guess if they had a massive advertising budget and could control the minds of the admittedly many impressionable consumers in the US it'd still be possible.
    Seeing how the economics of scale most definitely affect computers and the cost of a Windows license is typically offset by pre-installed bloatware I seriously doubt these machines will cost less or the same as equal spec Windows machines (unless System76 is prepared to work off lower margins). I'd like to be highly optimistic about this endeavor, but my, admittedly very surface-level, business analysis of System76's tells me it's not a business I'd personally want to invest in if I was looking for a good monetary return on investment.

However it would seem like they're not going to do much beyond assembling machines out of off-the-shelf parts with some minor 3D printed bits and bobs so there may still be a self-sustaining business in that. However you shouldn't get too exited over the 3D printer as the tech isn't quite ready for proper volume production meaning that 3D printed parts are going to be pretty minor or then built-to-order extras.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X