Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jo-erlend
    replied
    Congratulations to the UBPorts team! Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Sorry, I missed your post before, notifications messed it up. I wasn't aware of that definition, to me it sounds dumb as hell, but I have to give it to you that you're right, so my opinion on the word doesn't matter heh.

Leave a comment:

• GizmoChicken
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Except antiquated does not mean obsolete, and neither "unsupported" or "out of support" or "end of life".
    I'll repeat:

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
    The word "antiquated" (as used in the referenced sentence) means obsolete. And yes, I'd say that Ubuntu 15.04, which hasn't been supported for more than two years, is obsolete.
    Follow the links and read the definitions.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Except antiquated does not mean obsolete, and neither "unsupported" or "out of support" or "end of life".

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Since when does support have anything to do with antiquity? As if lacking security updates makes it more ancient, just more unsafe.

But before a given patch, any OS lacks the respective security patch, whether you are aware of it or not. Does that mean all OS in existence are ancient? (all of them have security bugs in one way or another, that will be patched in the future or not)

Really, it's nothing more than a fashionsta's word usage.
    Michael wrote "antiquated", which means "obsolete". You can't really say that 15.04 still isn't obsolete by now. So learn to read and understand texts before you complain again...

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    My new laptop arrived today, but the hardware is from late 2017 and this laptop was first released in February 2018, so it's really ancient by now as technology progresses every month.

Leave a comment:

• GizmoChicken
    replied
    Since when does support have anything to do with antiquity? As if lacking security updates makes it more ancient, just more unsafe.

But before a given patch, any OS lacks the respective security patch, whether you are aware of it or not. Does that mean all OS in existence are ancient? (all of them have security bugs in one way or another, that will be patched in the future or not)

The word "antiquity" does not appear in the referenced article. Rather, Michael includes the following:

"Ubuntu Touch OTA-4 is significant for the UBports project in that it migrates from the antiquated Ubuntu 15.04 base to now using the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS base." (Emphasis added.)

The word "antiquated" (as used in the referenced sentence) means obsolete. And yes, I'd say that Ubuntu 15.04, which hasn't been supported for more than two years, is obsolete.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post
    The release date is irrelevant, it is the end-of-life date that matters: 14.04LTS is a year older, but not EOL until next year.

Ubuntu 15.04 hasn't been supported for more than two years.

Leave a comment:

• AlanGriffiths
    replied
    Ubuntu 15.04 was released in 2015. Good to know "antiquity" is 3 years ago only.
    The release date is irrelevant, it is the end-of-life date that matters: 14.04LTS is a year older, but not EOL until next year.

Ubuntu 15.04 hasn't been supported for more than two years.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by makam View Post

On the internet anything older than 2 years is ancient history.
    In technology fields where there is a lot of development, yeah.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X