CrossOver For Android Now Running On Chromebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Wait, are Android apps already supported now on ChromeOS? If so, why don't they run on other distros too, or is ChromeOS not just a Linux distro?
    There is a compatibility layer that was published lately by Google.
    I don't know if it is opensource or not. If it is opensource it can be adapted to other distros, but I don't know how easily as ChromeOS is a very special linux distro, they don't always follow usual distro standards.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      There is a compatibility layer that was published lately by Google.
      I don't know if it is opensource or not. If it is opensource it can be adapted to other distros, but I don't know how easily as ChromeOS is a very special linux distro, they don't always follow usual distro standards.
      Yup, I do not even consider ChromeOS as Linux. The fork is so old and the architecture now differs so much that it is more a far cousin you never meet than a brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
        Yup, I do not even consider ChromeOS as Linux. The fork is so old and the architecture now differs so much that it is more a far cousin you never meet than a brother.
        Well, I said "not your average desktop distro" but I'd still call it linux tho. It is just a very barebones embedded linux with Chrome on top.

Comment

It is complicated to switch/adapt stuff from one to the other. This is why ports, even for opensource projects, are rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            It is complicated to switch/adapt stuff from one to the other. This is why ports, even for opensource projects, are rare.
            I don't think the issue is that it is complicated, this guy here http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/...pecial-builds/ maintains more or less solo a kernel rebase of ChromiumOS to allow people to use it on normal PC hardware. It's not terribly stable atm, but hey, solo mantainer.

I think it does not see much people making very different child distros as its supposed to run like a web-kiosk, so 99% of the functionality comes from the browser (chrome/ium) not from the system itself.

Comment

Will we read BENCHMARKS from CROUTON's wine VS Android's CrossOver with Intel and ARM Chromebooks before reading MS WOS vs WINE vs GNU/Linux here?

Comment

It seems the Android compatibility is made in a container, perhaps docker.

And if they want to open source it, it would be as easy as to install the container and the OS.

I do not think they would fear the 2% GNU/Linux desktop as competence to their Chromebooks OS,

Even more it can be an ally for not to buy MS WOS laptops and or boxes and let MS WOS users try something similar to a Chromebook as GNU/Linux can be.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
                  I do not think they would fear the 2% GNU/Linux desktop as competence to their Chromebooks OS,
                  Also because that compatibilty layer's apps will mostly come from Google Play anyay, so it's not a terrible thing for Google.

Comment

Working...
                  X