X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    If you're one of those people under the superstition that "hardware survey = OS data sampling point", I have a very interesting bit of information for you: Valve doesn't need you to submit a survey in order to determine your OS. Hint: Consider for which OS the client you're running is compiled.
    In which case, no need for any kind sampling.... Just publish the data....

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    No notable games, no users.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    On StatCounter Linux is at 1.77%, which is a bit lower than last month (1.91%), but still nearly an all-time high.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Witcher 3 and GTAV are the biggest reasons why people are using Linux less. Wasn't Witcher 3 suppose to come to Linux?

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    If you're one of those people under the superstition that "hardware survey = OS data sampling point", I have a very interesting bit of information for you: Valve doesn't need you to submit a survey in order to determine your OS. Hint: Consider for which OS the client you're running is compiled.

Leave a comment:

• sunnystormy
    replied
    I think, that as the world comes to know and appreciate the accessibility offered by GNU/Linux-based platforms, we will start to see a steady rise of users. It could also be that people are simply using GOG instead of Steam. Most titles that I like that are on Steam are also available in a DRM-free version, which I prefer.

In other words, don't take Steam's diminishing numbers as a deathknell of GNU/Linux as a gaming platform... assuming that that's the direction the argument here is going. >_>

Leave a comment:

• audi.rs4
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post

So, I guess you're using a Nvidia GPU?

Borderlands 2 is utter crap on Linux with AMD.
    According to an Aspyr employee it's clearly an issue with AMD's Catalyst.
    AMD is informed but so far nothing changed.

So in my case, I bought Borderlands 2 to play it on Linux,
    but ended up playing it on Windows...

This is not how you convince people to use Linux for gaming.
    Yeah, it's anecdotal ... but still.

I just started playing Borderland 2 on Linux last week with my ATI card. I haven't seen any issues so far and it seems to be running smoothly.

I also was just given the Survey yesterday on my Linux machine when logging in. Previously I've only ever been surveyed in Windows as I dual boot, but now for only a select few games.

With games like Batman, GRID Autosports and Payday 2 releasing to Linux this year, the list keeps growing for games available to play. Hopefully they are compatible with a wider range of hardware than the Borderlands ports appears to have been.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    I don't think Valve or any of the linux game developers really care about the existing Linux share, their focus is on Steam Machines, because it's the Steam Machines that will put capable Linux hardware in the hands of true gamers. My guess is that by the end of the year Linux share will rise to somewhere between 3% to 5%.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Dasher42, if you are running steam through wine, it does get counted as a linux system. That assumes you got the survey though.

Leave a comment:

• haagch
    replied
    Don't forget Project C.A.R.S. that was released about a month ago. It will have a linux version too. I would have liked to see a game like that with oculus rift support. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/sear...sort=new&t=all. But since a lot of games that support the oculus rift only do so for windows, and since oculus dropped linux support I don't have much hope.

What's with all the games that "will have" linux support, but launch windows-only. And delay the linux version for month after month after months? And then everybody wonders why nobody plays the games on linux?

It's always the same. I could have been playing project cars with my dk2 for a month now. Or I wait a few more months and very likely not play it with my dk2 at all. How many people do that and how many people cave and go to the operating system that even the developers who promise linux support give so much preferential treatment?

In other news, Valve finally is getting ready to release a source 2 dota patch with linux support? Hey, maybe they will finally publish the dota 2 workshop tools for linux. How long have windows users been able to create and play custom games while their friends using linux could not play these custom games with them? It's 10 months now if I'm not mistaken? (I don't like dota 2, but I'd like to play some of the custom games).

Seriously, do people really wonder why people go to windows? Release your stuff for linux and maybe people will play it on linux.

Also recently crytek finally announced some linux stuff. How about the star citizen preview stuff, can we on linux maybe get it too?

Hey, does anyone remember how DICE "strongly wanted to get into Linux"? That was 2013.
    It would only take one "killer" game for the Linux platform to explode its way into mainstream gaming, DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson told Polygon, revealing that the development studio...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X