Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrt181
    replied
    promote this idea, even if you do not use ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• byteframe
    replied
    Well we we're promised a wxWidgets UnrealED, but does anyone who has torrented that 6 gigs know if that's the case? I'm would have hoped idStudio considered that or similiar api, or gosh, sdl, but who knows?

Leave a comment:

• me262
    replied
    Which is why I'm surprised that some map editors aren't released on Linux.
    I bet we could do some real interesting things if we could just get some kind of map editor. (An embedded random generator for some kind of randomized maze level. Sure it may be some kind of security hole that'll get patched in the next version, but until then, it's an interesting battle.)
    It's good to see that at least one company has faith in us for coming up with fixes and new ways to tinker.
    It's also nice that we have people who care about this community willing to do things with and for the community.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by me262 View Post
    Who was it that said iD could do anything they saw fit?

Oh right. You. ^_^
    And, until they're bought out, they will continue to do so- and perhaps AFTERWARDS. John Carmack's got an interesting take on cross-platformness- views it as critical to ensure there's less busted code in their engine and the titles they do with it. He's not wavered in that since early on. Moreover, he's done work for the FOSS community in the past- important stuff. I know, I worked on the same project with him, Gareth Hughes, and others. It's where we had our first FOSS GLX driver framework.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 21 July 2008, 10:04 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling error...were != where... ;-)

Leave a comment:

• byteframe
    replied
    Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    I find it interesting how he mentions the different platforms that id tech 5 can run on as "pc, mac, x360 and ps3". That means that by "pc" he means both windows and linux, I assume.
    Sadly, 'PC' means Windoughs, in this context.

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    I find it interesting how he mentions the different platforms that id tech 5 can run on as "pc, mac, x360 and ps3". That means that by "pc" he means both windows and linux, I assume.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    As long as for Mac and PS3 the engine has to use OpenGL there should be no real problem to release a Linux client. Usually ID does not use 3rd party tools like others so licencing problems should not be problematic too. Also wine can run the Win versions of the last games very well too - just because no D3D was used and the OpenGL wrapping is really fast.

Leave a comment:

• byteframe
    replied
    I'm quite positive we'll see GNU+Linux support for idTech5. For Doom3, iD was primarily responsible for the Windows and Linux version, with the mac and xbox ports being done elsewhere. The latest Carmack masterpiece is even more portable than before, and I suspect if they release on the Mac, they will release on Linux. There's a good chance that the Mac port might be there at launch, so as to bolster the engine's portability claims, (frankly I hate the mac), but like doom 3, the linux port will probably be (at most) a few months late.

JC's response is typical in that he doesn't promise anything.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Guess we can still hope

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    at the post before

Leave a comment:

Working...
X