X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marakaid
    replied
    Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    Your looking at it the wrong way think of it as spending 100 Euros less (Vista home premium is about 150 Euros) as you don't need to buy a windows licence (not taking WINE into the picture of course...).
    I understand that you are saving Euros because you don't need to buy Windows to run the game, but, what if you want to play with 3 or 4 games whose Linux versions cost so much as Jack Keane one? You lose all the supposed saving if you plan to get more than 1 game with premium price.

Leave a comment:

• marakaid
    replied
    I can run other games with the price not increased, i.e. Quake Wars does not cost more to run it in Linux.
    Jack Keane will fail because see that double price as a big penalty.
    Don't try to "sell" the price difference as a "premium" to enter into the elite who buys expensive Linux games or expensive Apple hardware (or MacOS software) to have bragging rights.

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    Originally posted by marakaid View Post
    I think they are committing a big mistake, I don't know if you have noticed that "heavy" price difference:
    Jack Keane for Windows, can buy it for 20 Euros / 30 USA dollars;
    Jack Keane preorder for Linux, 40 Euros / 60 USA dollars.
    Your looking at it the wrong way think of it as spending 100 Euros less (Vista home premium is about 150 Euros) as you don't need to buy a windows licence (not taking WINE into the picture of course...).

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by marakaid View Post
    I think they are committing a big mistake, I don't know if you have noticed that "heavy" price difference:
    < /sigh>

Either you want to run under Linux or you want to run under Windows.

Dual booting isn't really the answer because it contributes to the network effect for Windows. A purchase for Windows is a vote for that OS to continue to get versions explicitly for it.

WINE's not any better an answer for those already on Linux for a while- and for the same reasoning.

The price is what each publisher set (not the studio) based on what return on their investment of a production run of a given size would be- if you like the game, but don't like the price, don't buy. But don't be whining when you don't have ANY other titles because they don't have metrics to us to make Linux versions. A purchase of a Windows SKU is a vote for THAT OS with your dollars as far as the publisher is concerned. They typically don't look at "installed user base" of an OS except to contemplate a possible version. Things not selling won't help us, never mind the pricing (they WILL NOT look at what the Linux SKU cost to get- they will only look at numbers sold and base it off of that...). If you want to play ON Linux, you need to BUY Linux.

As it stands, most of everyone will be unfamiliar with the MacOS gaming situation. Pricing is very similar to what you're seeing here in many cases. They buy all the same. They don't bitch about the Windows version being cheaper or in the bargain bin before it comes out. They don't typically buy up a "gaming rig" just to run Windows so they can play those games. They buy the stuff because they know if they like it and they buy it, there'll be more down the line- and better fare.

Think of the price delta right at the moment as the premium to NOT have things like Vista on your machine, if you have to. Sure, you can run XP now, but what happens when they don't activate anymore? What happens when they completely turn the lights off on things like they're doing with "Plays for Sure"?? If you can't justfy the expense, it's okay. If you don't like it, it's okay. If you can swing both, buy it and don't bitch about the price difference, okay?

Leave a comment:

• marakaid
    replied

Leave a comment:

• duglambier
    replied
    75 so far. I hope IxSoft, Tuxgames and others will carry on with other titles like Europa Universalis 3

Leave a comment:

• Janusz11
    replied
    Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I remember playing this demo and absolutely hating the game. Oh well, to each his own.
    I wouldn't go as far to say that I hated the demo. I simply didn't like it. When I tried it out I found the dialogues absolutely shallow and ridiculous. Needless to say that I didn't find the jokes funny at all.

Also, I didn't like the graphics. What irritated me most were the strange colours.

This game simply isn't for me. There are not many, but definitely better Adventures out in the market.

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    Hmm... Not a bad idea, I hope it will work on my Vista install on this laptop... The trailer was funny, hopefully it didn't show all the funny parts of the game, and there are many more (like Anhk).

... By the way, if anyone else tried the trailer, were you able to get any sound off it in Linux? I wasn't, had to see it in Vista.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    I remember playing this demo and absolutely hating the game. Oh well, to each his own.

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    I'm downloading the trailer now, these guys can pull out some really funny characters and interesting games... Reminds me of a mixture between Indiana Jones and Monkey Island (oddly both from Lucas Arts ) I may be pre-ordering this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X